What Microsoft Access Formula Provides Summary?

I have 80,000 product records in a Microsoft Access database. Some records may have the same name but a different location. How do I query and produce a summary on each name without any other information? For example:

ABC product is at 78216

ABC product is at 78216

ABC product is at 78216

ABC product is at 88273

ABC product is at 33333

XYZ product is at 78216

MNO product is at 78216

MNO product is at 78216

The query should show the following.

ABC

XYZ

MNO

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

You need to use the totals row.

Set it to Group By on the Names and then AVG, SUM, whatever you need on the totals, I believe.

If that's what you're asking.

If you just want to know how many unique names you have make a copy of the table, structure only, then index with no dups the name column, then append the old table to the new one and count the records.

• 4 years ago

Access and Excel are very different from Word and Powerpoint. You will NOT be able to fake knowing how to use them. If the job requires someone who is up to speed immediately, you may not be qualified. It's a good thing to know before you get hired and lose credibility (and most probably your job) within a very short period of time. However, you can certainly let them know your current MS Office experience and your skill in Word and Powerpoint. Then state that you are willing to learn the other two as quickly as possible. Some employers (like General Motors) provide MS Office suites for as little as $10 for their employees use AT HOME. This is so they can practice using it and keep up with what is used on the job. (This is MS way of making sure that everybody else keeps paying through the nose the rest of the time.) Anyway, the employer you are looking at may also be willing to hire you for your other qualifications if you are willing to take classes and are a fast learner. You can look online and find a course available that starts soon (or immediately) and is as comprehensive as possible in as short a time as possible. (More on that below.) Then be prepared by rehearsing something to say when this comes up in the interview. For example, state honestly (and succinctly) that you are not familiar with Access and Excel, but you are a fast learner, are have checked into and are willing to take a course (name it specifically) to bring you up to speed as quickly as possible. State that you believe your other qualifications would make this mutually beneficial employment and that you came to the interview hoping to have the opportunity to prove that. I've included a link for Microsoft Office's own FREE online self-training site. You may also want to look up paid services before tomorrow, so you can refer to these if asked. Remember that if they outright state that you aren't qualified for that position, you can still ask if they have another position that would better suit your skills, and to keep you in mind in the future. Even a referral to another company or a suggestion on a job better suited is a precious commodity these days. And I do hope you can get the job.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.