Any good books to read??

I'd like to get back into reading more, I used to be an avid reader but nowadays not as much. So any reccomendations?

I'm into the more dark books, perhaps horror but not corny ones like Pet Cemetary (no offense), I also like true stories. I love cute romances, anything really that will capture my attention and soar me away to another place! I don't like kiddy/immature books, btw.

Mature, dark, compelling = keywords LOL.

But really, just tell me any book that you think is good no matter what genre and give me a brief description if POSSIBLE. =)

Favorite Answer

Try some of these *horror ones, Joe Hill one is great!

Children/Young Adult

Last Chance by Sarah Dessen

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funkt

Ingo series by Helen Dunmore

Whistling for the Elephants by Sandi Toksvic

The Book Thief by Markus Zusack

All the Harry Potter books

Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling

The Railway Children - E Nesbit

Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carol

Treasure Island and Kidnapped - Robert Louis Stevenson

The Chronicles of Narnia

Adult

No! I don’t want to join a Book Club by Virgina Ironside

Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir......and her other books

The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Neffenigger

Best of Fathers by Anne Baker

The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood

Cell by Stephen King*

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Swimming with the Fishes and Swimming without a net by MaryJanice Davidson

Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill*

Mr Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

My Legendary Girlfriend by Mike Gayle and his others

Mr McGreggor, The Last Lighthouse Keeper, Animal Instincts, Only Dad, Rosie, Love and Dr Devon all by Alan Titchmarsh

Pillars of the Earth and the sequel World Without End by Ken Follett

Anything by Stephen King*, John Saul*, John Connolly*, Alexander McCall Smith, Terry Pratchett, James Herbert*

Classics

Lord of the Flies and The Inheritors by William Golding

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Gulliver's Travels by Johnathan Swift

Sons and Lovers - D H Lawrence

Great Gatsby - Scot Fitzgerald

1984 and Animal Farm - GeorgeOorwell

Mrs Dalloway - Virgina Wolfe

I Claudius - Robert Graves

Rebecca - Daphne de Maurier

Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

Decline and Fall - Evelyn Waugh

Women in Love - D H Lawrence

Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad

A Portrait of an Artist as a Young man - James Joyce

Goodbye to all That - Robert Graves

Shirley - Charlotte Bronte

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

Brave New World - Aldais Huxley

Anna Karnina - Tolstoy

The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

Lolita - Vladimer Naborkov

Tarka the Otter - Henry Williamson

Burning Bright - John Steinbeck

Travels with my Aunt - Graham Greene

The Pearl - John Steinbeck

A Room With a View - E M Forster

Hunchback of Notre Dame - Victor Hugo

Les Miseriables - Victor Hugo

Lorna Doon - R D Blackmore

Moll Flanders - Daniel Defoe

Brideshead Revisted - Evelyn Waugh

War and Peace - Tolstoy

Anything by Jane Austin

Series

Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz*

The Arthur Trilogy by Bernard Cornwall starts with Winter King

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind starts with Wizards First Rule

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King starts with The Gunslinger

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon starts with Cross Stitch

• ALEXIS

Try some of these:

Neil Gaiman is an amazing author! Any of his books are good. Try Neverwhere, Stardust, or Coraline.

Edgar Allen Poe is a really good author. Check out his poems and short stories.

William Shakespeare is good too.

Any books by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes are amazing! There is In The Forest of The Night, Demon In My View, Shattered Mirror, Midnight Predator. And then there is the The Kiesha'ra series: Hawksong, Snakecharm, Falcondance, Wolfcry and Wyverhail.

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly

How To Kill A Rock Star by Tiffanie Debartolo

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

13 Little Blue Envelopes and Girl At Sea by Maureen Johnson

The Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen) by Garth Nix

His Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman

A Great and Terrible Beauty, Rebel Angels and The Far Sweet Thing by Libba Bray

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding

Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

The Secret Under My Skin by Janet McNaughton

Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

The Sight and Fell by David Clement-Davies

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

The Earthsea series (starting with A Wizard of Earthsea) by Ursula K. Le Guin

Source(s): Enjoy!
  • Try "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy", and "A Man Named Dave" by Dave Pelzer. True stories... The first one is about his life as a young child up to the age of 11 or 12. The second is about his life after the first book ends, the time he spent as a foster child. The third is more of a grown up aspect.

The books are about extreme child abuse, and how he dealt and IS still dealing with being abused. Probably not the best read if you're trying to forget reality for awhile, but really well written. An excellent lesson to learn from how he's managed to overcome most of his childhood trauma.

http://www.davepelzer.com/

Source(s): Just finished reading the last book, so they're on the top of my mind.

The Thirteenth Tale - Diane Setterfield - kinda dark and gothic. Has some great twists. One of my favorite books.

The TIme Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger - this is my favorite book ever.

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - told in the narrative by the teenager who is brutally murdered. I also loved her memoir - Lucky - its the author's true story about how she was raped in college.

The Mist - Stephen King - it's more like a novella, about 150 pages, it's in one of his short story collections. It still scares the crap out of me.

I also loved Wicked and Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire, and I enjoyed his other fairytale novels - Mirror, Mirror (Snow White), and Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister (based on Cinderella).

If you haven't read the Twilight series of books by Stephenie Meyer - they are "young adult" but definitely not immature. Very good, very fast paced. Each one is about 500+ pages, but you can literally rip through one in about a day and a half. But these are really great to fall into the story. Just reading a few words, and I was sucked into their world. However, I've just recently finished all 4 of them in the last week, and the characters are haunting me, I need to start another book this weekend so I can get all those characters out of my head.

The Unseen by Richie Tankersly Cusick

It's about a Undead vampire whos after the blood of a girl that just moved to town. But she has a magical power that he doesn't know about that was given to her by a girl that she found dying in a graveyard. The Unead person being the one who killed her. I know the summery sucks but it is an awesome book. There's 4 in the series.

The Wereling

It's about a guy who gets turned into werewolf a by the parents of a werewolf family because the daughter needs a 'mate' but she helps hime escape and theyre chased across the country by the werewolves of the world. Another bad summery but totally amazing book

I hope you would enjoy Monkey Beach by Eden Robinson.

It is a mature book, it is not in any way YA, and it is not horror, but it definitely has a dark, bleak sort of way about it. It is honestly my favourite novel to date, and it is SO well written. It's about a young girl who lives on the coast in a small town called Kitimat, which is a mainly aboriginal community, and it is sort of a memoir of her childhood in sequence from a very young age to present date, when she is... 19 maybe?

It illustrates the problems that have been passed onto her family through the generations.. it is incredible. I just had to keep reading.

I hope someone will finally listen to me and read this amazing book!

I just finished reading a book called Dora's Room which I found I couldn't put down. I don't read too often as I find a lot of books hard to get into to and I really don't have much spare time so when I find a good one I find it hard to put it down. It was about a woman who had been removed from the family when she was a child and inherited a castle from her grandfather about 15 years later. She then tried to find out the mystery of what happened in the past.

Read the twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. It's horror mixed with romance. They are really good books and will keep you reading for a while.

It's become the 'new harry potter' addiction. (not at all like harry potter because twilight is way better).

If your into horror+romance then These are the books for you.

You have to read the twilight series by Stephenie Meyer.

She is by far the best author I have ever read.

I usually don't like reading,

but her books kept me interested.

It's a series.

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn.

It will keep you on your toes && you will stay interested.

Check it out online.

It'll tell you more.

(This is also becoming a movie on December 12th.)

As far as romances, Marian Keyes is pretty good. They are funny too, Watermelon was a great one by her.

Harlan Coben is a good crime/suspense writer. There is a series where the main character is this guy Myron and he and his lunatic buddy solve crimes.