Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Kraft Miracle whip glass jars as well as many instant coffe jars also accept Mason lids. Are they reusable?

We could keep a lot of glass out of landfills if some level of government would mandate the use of reusable Mason type jars for retail packaging.

• Dave C
    Favorite Answer

If the lid fits, I don't see why not.

However, when you pressure can, the concern is that these jars my not be stout enough to handle the temps and pressure. If they break, it'll create a mess.

This will work -- I use it all the time: Get a screwdriver (flat-head) and gently put it under the edge of the jar lid and try to raise the bottom edge of the jar lid a little bit. Be careful -- you don't want to break the glass. You will hear a little air escape from the jar and the lid will remove very easily. Also, a can opener for a beer can works well too. Just be careful to not actually open the lid with the pointed end of the can opener. But gentle pressure will allow that air to escape from the bottom of the lid edge.

All the government should be doing is protecting our borders and paving roads!

But yes, you can, and I have, used glass jars over again to can jelly, pickles, and jam if they will fit a canning ring and seal lid. It's not safe to reuse the lid that came on it, esp. if there is not rubber gasket on the lid (like mayo).

• Thats a great idea and some products already do. mayo is one and there is certain brands of spagetti sauce that have "Bell" right on them for use in canning. I have many of these. It's the only spagetti sauce that I purchase. I am always looking for these products that are in jars that can be used for canning.

Yes they are reusable, I use my old candle jars clean them out really good and put in my cotton balls, & q-tips in the bathrooms.

I wouldn't use them for canning as they probably wouldn't get a good seal.

My step-dad saves some jars and put nails, bolts, washers, screws, etc. in them. You could find some use for them, I'm sure.

I can agree with you..

BUT

mason jars are designed to be boiled and even in a pressure cooker

• ?

As long as they seal tightly to keep out stuff

Yes, but be sure you boil them first, to sanitize. Happy caning.