Canadians Do You Feel?

A few questions in this one, hopefully you can read first

1) Do you feel that Paul Martin was responsible for sending your troops to the most dangerous region of Afghanistan, Khandahar without ensuring that the rest of the Nato allies including the US put in equal contribution in that dangerous region.

2) Do you then feel that Jean Chretian should not have let an incompetent fool like Martin become the Prime Minister of Canada and hang in there until 2005 and get another someone more qualified to run for PM

3) Do you think your leaders give a damn about your soldiers.

4) Do you feel the soldiers were poorly equiped and hence the government basically sent them there to die.

5) Do you feel this war in Afghanistan is to appease the US leaders or do you believe in this war.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am not Canadian, would love to move there someday and am always saddened to hear about your military deaths.

Favorite Answer

1/ Nope. The Taliban were responsible for our troops needing to be there. It wouldn't have mattered who was PM at the time ( other than Jack Layton).

2/ It wasn't Chretien's decision. That's not how political party leaders are chosen here.

3/Yes, they do, even Jack Layton does.

4/Our armed forces have always been under manned and under equipped. Nothing new there. We joined WW2 in far worse shape and at the end of it, came out with the world's third largest Navy.Not bad for starting out with a submarine owned by a Province ( BC) some old destroyers and a WW1 cruiser. The difference lies in the fact that even the sanitary engineers (janitors) are trained to the equivalent US Ranger level of combat skills and since our gear is old, our troops tend to know it quite well and often come up with their own modifications to make it more effective

5/ If we wanted to appease US leaders, we would have joined in Iraq. We didn't and we don't really give a rats butt what American politicos think. We joined in the sanctioned NATO op in Afghanistan because it's that. A sanctioned NATO op against an oppressive regime that provided training facilities to terrorists and others willing to kill innocent people world wide.

Edit:

A previous answer here makes mention of "Peace keeping image". That was replaced by Peace Making in Yugoslavia's UNPROFOR mission. If there is no peace to keep, you make it by force of arms or get outta Dodge and stick your head in the sand someplace. Get involved or don't. There should never be any half measures. The next 9/11 type event won't be the terrorists fault. It'll be ours.

Additionally, Romeo asked to have troops flown in to Rwanda and was prepared to fight but was denied by the UN. He was doing his job under a UN mandate and their rules of engagement. Not a hero, just a soldier. Read his book "Shake hands with the devil". The movie is out now as well.

The brooch became into offered by way of the Royal Canadian Artillery, out of monies they accrued themselves. This value the taxpayer no longer something. And, did no longer come from the government in any respect. i think of it somewhat is a great token of what people think of of right here - people donated funds to create this present, that's certainly spectacular, in case you haven't any longer seen it. The medals are given to nicely known stable people, doing stable issues. I won a Golden Jubilee medal to have fun her fiftieth, and, I placed on it with delight, as an acknowledgement of my service to the rustic. It has inspired me for the final 10 years - I nonetheless serve, no longer for reward, yet, because of the fact i've got been rewarded. The "service" that those medals will bring about greater desirable than pay for it.

• Eliza

Your fifth question raised my hair a bit. I do believe our troops were sent just to please Bush. Because of the atrocities in Afghanistan, I think we've lost our peach-keeping image. That saddens me to no end, and I'm sure heroes like Romeo Dallaire are shaking their heads at the current situation.