Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My kitten likes my hamsters...?

I have the habitrail ovo and my dresser isn't big enough to put it on so i have to put it on the floor. My 5 month old kitten L-O-V-E-S to look at him and paw. He will also try to dig underneath and go on top of the cage. I'd hate to keep himout of my room 24/7! Any ideas?

• Amy R
    Favorite Answer

You need to keep the kitten out. We had a big glass aquarium with a big perforated lid when we had gerbils, so our VERY interested cat could only sit on the top and drool. But a HabiTrail is a lighter plastic item, and that kitten will be jumping like an Olympian pretty soon so moving it up will not be enough to keep the hampsters safe. You could built some kind of support brace to hold the Habitrail and keep the top on even if the cat (it will become a cat pretty fast) tries to spill the hampsters or open the lid (they are pretty smart about that). But making a stand or bracket or both is a pain - just keep the cat out of the room or get a more substantial container for the hampsters - you might find that their chewing urges are too strong for that plastic anyway over time. My sisters hampster practically ate the Habitrail we put it in! The gerbils liked it - but they were stinky little males and cleaning it all the time was a chore, so we got rid of it.

Instead of not letting your cat go in your room you could try putting the habitrail in the bathroom or another room. Or don't let your cat in there until you are in there to supervise her. It is just natural cat instincts! And I'm passing this along to all cat lover's. It's about nutrition and what you should be feeding your cat. Did you know wet cat food is way better and closer to their natural diet. Dry cat food is literally keeping them constantly dehydrated. Here is the link. Hope you enjoy and figure something out.

http://www.catinfo.org/

Find another higher place to put your little hamster or find another room that the kitty is already not allowed in.

Possibly consider a different cage?

Plus the kitty can be in your room whenever you're in there to supervise, so it wouldn't be out 24/7 (:

GL!