Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 1 decade ago

confused about hydrogen ions?

i have a quiz tomorrow and my teacher wants me to explain hydrogen ions and what happens to them when you put it in an aqueous acidic solution. there was something about the hydrogen losing its electron and basically becoming a proton? and it becomes slightly positive and the other element becomes slightly more negative. i dont know?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Its a bit of a trickily question to answer because I don't know that level your teacher want you to example hydrogen atoms....

hydrogen ions can mean that they are H+ or that they are H-

(yes both are possible as natural H has one electron and the max is 2, also there stuff like NaH)

Now if he means H+ it will come in the form of HX or something.

Then HX is added to water it will dissociate to H+ + X-

However depending on how far dissociation of the ions is there will be an equbrium form

HX <------> H+ + X-

Now if you add more hydrogen ions (in this case H+) the concentration of H+ is increase) the balance is unblance in the right hand side, to the equilibrium pushes the equation to the left have side and more HX is formed.

Now if he means H- ions as well.

They will simply react with the H+ ions to form hydrogen gas.

H+ + H- ----> H2

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

everything that you said is technically correct. a hydrogen atom is composed of a proton (a positive particle in the nucleus) and an electron (a negative particle) that orbits the nucleus. if the hydrogen atom loses an electron, then it becomes a positively charged ion. The electron that is lost is usually attached to another atom, which then is now a negative ion because it carries an extra electron (remember the electron has a negative 1 charge). Hope that helps. if you have any more questions, please ask...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.