Is this what's wrong with music today?

"If you look at the great art movements, everyone's dabbled and experimented... I'm going to preface that by saying addiction is stupid. But the lack of experimentation is affecting the music today, and, as a result, the music is stale. They need to break on through." - Perry Farrell

• Smiley
    Best Answer

Rock is still very much alive...it's just not well.

It's very sad to see what's happened to rock music in the last 25 years or so. If there was something really worth listening to today, believe me I'd know about it.

Even the new retro prog stuff like 'Pendragon', 'Like Wendy', or 'Arena'(UK band) seems to have an inferior redundancy about it, and really seems to only appeal to the prog heads under 30, until they discover the real thing.

I've heard all of the more recent bands like Opeth, Mastadon, Isis, Torche, Blind Guardian, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Super Heavy Goat A**, Black Bonzo, Grave Digger, etc etc as well...and that stuff is pretty good for the most part...but nothing to get really excited about. Been there...done that.

In my opinion, the music stopped in the late 70s and has basically been regurgitating itself ever since, in one form or another.

Don't get me wrong, because there was a lot of crap released in the 60s and 70s as well, but not half as bad as whats being churned out today!

Take Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple or Black Sabbath for instance, and take into consideration who they grew up listening to; Little Richard, Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, early Beatles etc. Then when you listen to Deep Purple, or any number of bands from that era (late 60's-early 70's), their music sounds nothing like the heroes they grew up with, or even what was happening just a few years earlier.

Deep Purple, Sabbath, and many other bands of the late 60's- early 70's had a sound that was new and fresh, and we've never really seen a truly original wave of music since.

It was wonderful growing up in the 60's, seeing new styles of music evolve and progress. Popular music went through so many beautiful and drastic changes between 1963 and 1973. There was so much originality and creativity during that decade, and basically ever since then most of what's been created musically was just a re-hash of the same old thing...over and over, with the odd twist or fusion of different genres here and there, sometimes fooling a young impressionable listener into thinking he/she was hearing something truly original.

When you fast forward 45 years, with all the different styles, and this guy lifting that guys lick, and that singer emulating that guys voice etc, the odds on someone sounding original today are a million in one!

All the heavy bands that came after Deep Purple & Sabbath, like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest can hardly be called original, because those guys grew up listening to their heroes, more than likely Deep Purple & Sabbath, and they basically built their sound based on that same formula.

There are more similarities between Deep Purple's music and Iron Maiden's, than there are similarities between Elvis Presley's music and Deep Purple's.

I do enjoy Iron Maiden, and loads of other 70s & 80s metal, but many of those bands were heading down roads previously traveled. And it's obvious to anyone, that sounding like your idols(though not exactly), hardly makes you original.

As the 70s closed, and the 80s began, creating a new fresh sound seemed to become increasingly difficult.

Punk rock was a good thing in it's early formative years, because it helped bring people back down to earth for awhile. After 5 or 6 years, so many progressive & heavy rock stadium bands during the 70's were doing very much the same sort of thing, and music seemed to be getting very stale and self indulgent. I guess a lot of bands ran out of ideas. perfect time for Punk Rock to take over.

Then, a semi original wave of bands like Television, Random Hold, This Heat, Talking Heads, etc, seemed to merge elements of Punk & Prog/experimental together. This was refreshing, for awhile, until everyone seemed to exploit this formula to the max.

And then along came Duran Duran, Men Without Hats, Flock of Seagulls, ABC, etc, and ruined everything!

So let's skip that mindless drivel, as well as all the 80s and 90s Motley Crew/Poison Hair Metal crap, and the Retro Punk Rock wannabes, who really only impressed people to young to know any better (The Backward Cap Generation), and that brings us to today. Where unfortunately originality is a thing of the past, though some people who don't know any better might argue this point.

It also seems that all of the more recent Punk "cookie cutter" bands are trying too hard to sound like 'Green Day', who were trying their hardest to sound like 70's punk bands 'The Jam' or 'The Buzzcocks' etc. So now, the once semi original 'Punk Rock' has lost it's ability to come up with a sound that is new and fresh. I'm not trying to say that music that's unoriginal is crap, just that I enjoyed music much more when I heard a new sound. And that hasn't happened since the 70s.

These rock sub genres which were popular in the 70s, such as Progressive Rock and Punk Rock, have once again become popular in recent years (not that they ever died off, they just weren't as popular for awhile). This resurgence, or re interest is funny, because through all the crappy music in the 80s and 90s (not that it was all bad), I was still stuck in the 60s & 70s. Some people may have thought I was a bit strange because I did not like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard or Aldo Nova, who were hip during 80s. I did listen to a lot of current music in the 80s, but it was mostly Metal...real Metal, or obscure hard rock and prog bands from the 70's like Gnidrolog, Eulenspygel, Blackwater Park, Flied Egg, Agnes Strange, Stray Dog, Arti & Mestieri, and many more. For me the 80's was the most bland decade when it came to rock music. Next to the decade we're currently in of course! LOL

Basically everything I've stated above has been a part of the inevitable decline, and lack of substance regarding much of the rock music today (in my opinion).

Bottom line? We will never see another truly original wave of rock again.

This is something we have to get used to.

• I would say VIDEOS are what's wrong with music today. It's all image, image, image.

Look at how many questions on here begin "I'm trying to find a song and I CAN'T REMEMBER ANY OF THE WORDS but in the video..."

The MTV culture has reversed the proper relationship of song to video and now the visuals are more important than the song that the video is an "ad" for.

I would say Farrell is SOMEWHAT correct but also record labels in general seem to be less patient with allowing a band to grow. It seems that 1 "disappointing" release sales-wise and they cut a group. As a result, the dabbling and experimenting Farrell talks about doesn't happen because the band is back to focusing on getting a deal again.

As much as I'm not a fan of the messenger (sorry Dave, Perry Farrell is responsible for two of the worst sets I've ever seen) he hit the nail on the head in reference to the mainsream, although I would take it one step further and use that point to segway into the corporatist effect. The major labels are all parts of major conglomerates now and they have found that they can just jam the same old crap down the throats of consumers and it will make them the same, and actually more money. With experimentation there is added cost (more time in the studio, more production), and more importantly there is more risk. Risk in sinking a bunch of money into a project that may turn people off when then they can simply stick to the formula and grab a high percentage of the demo.

The consumers don't care enough to demand better, so that's what they get.

Mr. Farrell is my hero. I wanna be just like Perry.

How can anyone argue with someone who's puffed away 15 years out of the peak of his life just so he could go on record saying "but I look great!"

Money and greed rule today's world. Not art, not expression, not heart and soul. And Mr. Farrell is just as guilty as the next guy. He got his and got out with no regard for who or what fell by the wayside.

Mr. Farrell also made yet another shocking statement by saying "Today's music industry is so full of "stale" hits because the song-writers are too sober."

Yea right! Take that from somebody like him who's "been there." And speaking of "stale hits"... isn't it time to freshen up the bong water?

No, it's not the artists being unoriginal as much as it is the listeners.

You see, people aren't taking risks musically. They will either stick to something that is good through the fact that it's selling, and/or that it is considered a "classic" and thus a sure bet.

The music companies don't care which option you take. The same companies that run your Fall Out Boy and MCR catalogues chances are have a finger in the Led Zeppelin and Who ones.

The only way people are going to make their playlists seem interesting is if they bother to get off their @ss and do some researching and taking the surface off what they already like and look through and beyond the similar, or take a few gambles on bands they've never heard of or only heard one or two songs of.

If you do get a few dud albums (not songs,) you know you're on track.

One of the most important aspects of singing well involves correct breathing. Now you would think that we would already do this correctly. Try a site like https://tr.im/GqZsO which has the best vocal exercises

After all if we couldn't breathe we wouldn't be alive! But in reality many people have bad breathing habits caused by a variety of things including poor posture and our often frantic lifestyles. Learning how to control your breathing is one of the keys to improving your voice.

Singing requires that you are able to take in enough air quickly before you are about to sing a line and then let this air out in a regular and controlled way whilst singing the notes. The mistake many novice singers do is to take a quick shallow gasp of air into the top of the lungs. This results in there being insufficient air, to get you through the line you are singing, and you will end up dropping notes. I'm sure you can relate to this experience and can remember times when you have had to quickly take in more air half way through the line or note you are singing.

There are different types of bands, and they usually stick to one kind of music. If you don't like a kind of music, you can listen to a different band!

Also the main population does not like change. Think about the new face book layout (may not apply). They recently changed it and it is clearly more accessible, but people are used to one thing and they do not like change. If something is new, it pretty much always gets shot down.

If you want to hear about new artists experimenting with music, you can listen to NPR music podcast, you can get it free on i tunes. They usually talk about new types of music.

Also, if one band has a breakthrough, it might be horrible for some other people. This is why there is such a wide variety of music.

Hope this helped.

Mr. Farrell makes a good point.

One of the things I believe that is lacking in musicians today is a knowledge of the history of music. They make no mention of who inspired them to make music. They don't discuss different styles of music that exist. Back in the day when someone was interviewed, they made it a point of speaking about the musicians that shaped them, their sound, etc. Keith Richards always spoke of the blues musicians that inspired him. The Grateful Dead had a sound that combined rock, blues, country, jazz etc.

A big lack of talent is also a problem. With sampling so prevelant in today's music, why push yourself to be good? These people don't even state the names of the groups/musicians they are getting their sound from. How do you inform your audience if you are too self-absorbed to do so? No imagination and no respect.

Musicians today are more concerned about their "star" image than their sound/talent. That is just sad.

Well i agree people like to play is safe because every kid who think Lil Wayne is the greatest musician ever will go buy some guys album that sounds exactly the same no one wants to Experiment in Mainstream Music they just keep talking about the Same old Sh!t, their beats all sound the same. but i still like new bands but they aren't mainstream i like Alkaline Trio, Bayside, and many other bands most of which never get on Radio but are on warped tour but thier are some crap bands on warped tour to,like Katy Perry

Perry Farrell is a great man. His new stuff, Perry Farrell's Satellite Party is awesome. Check it out.

It's not how good the music is but how good the video is and that is what sells music today. I hear all most everyday when someone young is in the house and they hear something they did not hear before

they ask where can I see the video or do they have a video. That's where the music is gone. Bands make it today by sight more than sound.