EVE asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Did you know rape victims in Wasilla while Palin was mayor had to pay for their medical exams?

[Former Gov. Tony Knowles (D)] broke new ground while answering a reporter's question on whether Wasilla forced rape victims to pay for their own forensic tests when Palin was mayor. True, Knowles said.

Eight years ago, complaints about charging rape victims for medical exams in Wasilla prompted the Alaska Legislature to pass a bill -- signed into law by Knowles -- that banned the practice statewide.

"There was one town in Alaska that was charging victims for this, and that was Wasilla," Knowles said

A May 23, 2000, article in Wasilla's newspaper, The Frontiersman, noted that Alaska State Troopers and most municipal police agencies regularly pay for such exams, which cost between $300 and $1,200 apiece.

"(But) the Wasilla police department does charge the victims of sexual assault for the tests," the newspaper reported.

• A.R.
    Favorite Answer

And that's the way we want to run the nation? Keep this woman away from Washington and if you meet an Alaskan lobbyist, quickly turn and walk the other way.

Gotta save up money for all those state sponsored abortions... I highly doubt that Palin ran the police department or wrote their policy.

I don't know of any hospital that doesn't. The victims insurance is billed if they have non then the tax payers usually end up footing the bill. A hospital for the most part is a business and has expenditures...they all try and seek reimbursement for a medical service...whether from an individual, insurance company or the tax payers.

"When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame. Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame." Dan Quayle

Palin, as an evangelical, knows that women are responsible for getting raped because they tempt men into sin.

I wonder if there has ever been an example of where the government messed up a situation in your town.

I guees not it only happens where Republicans rule.

ps

Stand up Chuck Graham, stand up so everyone can see.... lol

I guess she was afraid that they might have an abortion or need prenatal care. Seems that she didn't feel it was important enough to stop the practice while she was mayor. I guess she was too busy hounding the librarian to ban books.

• ?

Wow i didn't know that . can you hear the drip drip drip back to the issues this country is facing because Palin is losing her luster she is just another corrupt politician who abuse her power .

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

what happens if the women cannot afford it , and they carry on living with AIDS or they get pregnant with the rapist child , I know its not the babies fault , and what if she does have AIDS or something - is she just going to have to die with it ? - how would she feel if it was her own daughter was raped ?

That seems a little wrong, huh?