Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Shouldn't a presidential candidate know what the Bush Doctrine is?

Update:

It's something people should know. Especially people who want to sit in the big chair.

Update 2:

If 3/4 of Americans don't know what the Bush Doctrine, that's fine if you are a plumber or a dentist, not if you are in government and it's your job to know some of these things. It's embarassing

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You would think so. I mean I even know for GODs sake and I am just a Registered Nurse..

Its really laughable and SCARY!!!!!!

• 1 decade ago

Yes, and so should a Vice Presidential candidate. Sarah Palin does. ABC's Charles Gibson seems to have is own idea what the Bush Doctrine is.

Check this out:

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/blog/g/7656b78a-a09...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe the guy asking the question should know what it is.

ABC News’ Charles Gibson, who is being credited with stumping Sarah Palin on the definition of the “Bush Doctrine,” has himself defined the nebulous phrase in a variety of ways, including one that mirrored Palin’s disputed explanation.

Gibson and his colleagues have been all over the map in defining the Bush Doctrine over the last seven years. In 2001, Gibson himself defined it as “a promise that all terrorists organizations with global reach will be found, stopped and defeated.”

But when Palin tried to give a similar definition on Thursday, Gibson corrected her.

The term “Bush Doctrine” was first coined by columnist Charles Krauthammer three months before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001 and has undergone profound changes as the war against terror has evolved.

“There is no single meaning of the Bush Doctrine,” Krauthammer noted in a forthcoming column. “In fact, there have been four distinct meanings, each one succeeding another over the eight years of this administration — and the one Charlie Gibson cited is not the one in common usage today. It is utterly different.”

• 1 decade ago

Yes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There are different tenets of the Bush doctrine which has evolved over the last seven years. Once Governor Palin properly requested the tenet that Gibson was referring to, she answered the question properly.

• 1 decade ago

Who gives a **** what the Bush Doctrine is. Has anyone ever heard of it till now? Not me, along with 3/4 of the American people. Probally more than that.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, also before people start saying they didn't know what the Bush Doctrine was. I did. Also so did a lot of my friends who are British!

• 1 decade ago

Bush Doctrine was designed so a President can start an illeagal war.. Yes a presidential nominee should know what it is so they can be sure never to repeat it.

Source(s): hahahaha Semper quoted a FOX news story as his response.. Thats like asking a mouse if he stole the cheese and believing the mouse when he said no
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think that condescending journalists should understand what it is before they make themselves look foolish as they try to make someone ELSE look foolish. Charles Gibson wrong about the Bush Doctrine. Here's what "Wikipedia" says:

"The Bush Doctrine is a term used to describe various related foreign policy principles of United States president George W. Bush, enunciated in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks. The phrase initially described the policy that the United States had the right to treat countries that harbor or give aid to terrorist groups as terrorists themselves, which was used to justify the invasion of Afghanistan.[1] Later it came to include additional elements, including the controversial policy of preventive war, which held that the United States should depose foreign regimes that represented a supposed threat to the security of the United States, even if that threat was not immediate (used to justify the invasion of Iraq), a policy of supporting democracy around the world, especially in the Middle East, as a strategy for combating the spread of terrorism, and a willingness to pursue U.S. military interests in a unilateral way."

So Gov. Palin's response of asking him to CLARIFY his question was RIGHT.....because there are so many ways of defining the Bush Doctrine, no matter which definition she used, he could have said she was wrong, and used one of the other definitions.

• 1 decade ago

If you try to tell us what the Bush Doctrine is, we will correct you. It's one of those phrases that everyone can play with.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Obama and Mccain are the same look into 3rd party candidates

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.