Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 1 decade ago

Scientific Article --- Sentence I dont understand.?

So i'm reading this really hard scientific article and i dont understand most of it but theres one sentence where it doesn't click to my brain,

so i would really appreciate it if someone were to take the time and explain this sentence to me

It has been taken from this article.

http://www.sfu.ca/biology/courses/bisc204/BISC%202...

[Here we demonstrate that increasing turbidity, by curbing the impact of sexual selection on sexual isolation, is responsible for the decline in cichlid diversity.]

Update:

Thank you so much.

I actually understand !

Thanks for your time :)

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Original science articles can be difficult. This sentence is actually a summary of the paper, or probably more of a preview of it.

Break down the hard phrases to clearer english first --

Turbidity: cloudiness of the water; hard to see clearly through turbid water

Sexual selection -- evolution not based on being healthy, strong, etc, but on being 'good looking' or whatever it is that animals of that species like. A very strong evolutionary force, and responsible for creating a lot of species, as the tastes change in what is a 'good' mate.

Sexual Isolation -- this population cannot reproduce with (is isolated from) the other population. This is the point at which something becomes a species, in an ideal system. Actually species can be named without this (as in the Cichlid system), but this is the purest form.

Cichlid diversity -- Cichlids are a family of fish that have made lots and lots of species - more than would be expected compared to other fish. Scientists study cichlids a lot, for many reasons. They are also common aquarium fish.

Now put the clearer phrases in place of the hard words, and simplify or divide the sentence until it makes sense.

In this paper, the scientists demonstrate that increasing cloudiness in the water is responsible for having fewer species of cichlid fish than expected given how diverse they normally are. Why is this? The scientists say that the cloudiness reduces the effectiveness of sexual selection because the fish don't see as many fish as clearly to compare 'sexiness' in fish terms, so sexual selection isn't as strong, and therefore they are less likely to have diverging tastes leading to isolation by sexual taste and eventually anatomy, and therefore less likely to become species.

Source(s): I'm a PhD Candidate in Ecology
  • nick s
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Yes, it is an example of very bad English – the writer is trying to impress by using only long words.

It is trying to say that the clarity of the water is bad (turbidity) such that the creatures are not identifying each other for sexual connection like they would if the water was clear. This reduces their genetic exchange, thus preventing their species from becoming as diverse (changing) as it otherwise would be.

Or in short – the dirty water is making them inbred. It’s like if a little town in the midwest was always cut off by fog from the rest of the country – the people would become inbred, which is just a common term for lacking genetic diversity.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i think of it particularly is saying that if the water is purely too turbid (confusing to verify via because of the fact of debris floating in it) the colour of the adult males won't seem as astonishing and that they won't attraction to the chums, so won't breed as a lot, as a male who's in clearer water or who has brighter hues. something is interior the appropriate vocabulary of this field. hue is shade tone - the version between toddler blue and astonishing blue case in point. nuptial shade could advise the colors that attraction to the female so they marry?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.