What would we do if we found life on Mars?

We humans tend to destroy or tamper with everything that we discover.

Do you think that life on other planets would be safe after we discovered their existence?

Favorite Answer

We'd probably have a mission to bring some of the life forms back to Earth for study. Like you said, we'd definitely tamper with it.

• DLM

It is true that the human influence on earth has contributed to, and caused some species extinctions. However, it seems unlikely to me that we are capable of destroying all life on this planet. Even in the event of a major global nuclear disaster, there are numerous bacteria that are extremely resilient and able to adapt to their surroundings (perhaps this is why centuries of medicine haven't been able to cure the common cold?).

If we discover life on another planet, under the assumption it develops and adapts the same way it has on earth, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be equally threatening to such extra-terrestrial life. But how intelligent is this life? Perhaps it's already equipped well enough to deal with the threat of us pesky "invaders from earth." Or perhaps by the time we find such life, our respect for life will be greater than it is now. Interesting, I think this question will get good answers here, but I suspect philosophy, or biology topics will get you other viewpoints as well, and equally informative.

If it were true that humans destroyed everything they encountered, then after 4 million years of humans existing, nothing else would exist.

Therefore the statement is inaccurate.

What would we do? Well, the scientists and sci-fi authors I know would throw a huge party and probably behave terribly inappropriately at it.

Then we'd insist on sending many more probes and possibly a human mission or 10 to study it... and then leave it alone.

Life farther away from us than our own solar system is safe. We're not coming up with interstellar ships any time in the near future.

I'd probably marry her. Oh wait, women are from venus. Never mind.

I think we would eat it. Probably deep-fried.

• Tom S

Bush would send troops to kill it.