:) asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

clinton anderson opinions? ?

so i have seen one of clinton andersons videos and i thoguht he was very sensible and knew what he was doing . but the videos are very expensive and i would like to know if they are worth buying

• buffy
    Favorite Answer

In my opinion the value of the expense cannot be determined by another person other than yourself. To determine whether it was valuable to you, I would suggest determining how you would have learned the same things in another way and compare the cost.

For example: what did the video cost you? Even if $50 that's maybe an hour with a trainer somewhat like him - that's if you can find one.

Personally, I think any learning materials put forth by fellas like Clinton are worth what they cost. Clinton's making a boatload of cash off them, but it's cheaper than paying his way to come to your house!

The benefit of having a trainer work with you and your horse personally is that the trainer can read your body language and you can interact with that trainer - he can quickly assess whether a certain bit of information or experience is alive within you and therefore not spend time on the needless things but focus on the time for things you really need to know. A trainer can speak in a manner that you understand and if you don't understand you can stop and ask him to teach you in a different way. However, here where I am in Michigan, I haven't found such a trainer other than 3 hours away. My cost to get to him to spend even just an hour is $150 in gas, a day's drive and probably $50-$100 for the time he spends with me. A local trainer that's OK, but not as good as the best I've found will come over for $75 an hour - and if you can get him to focus, not tell stories, and get you through what you want to know, that's good. I have to say videos are cheaper than these expenses.

The downside of videos is that you don't have the advantage of working with your horse and responding to what he does and learning from it. Also, that person on the video doesn't have the same knowledge you have - what appears simple on that screen may not be simple - because while you think you are doing exactly what he's doing (and perhaps not getting the same results) you may be doing just differently enough to negate what he's teaching you. Sometimes even standing just a little one way off will make a difference in the horse's perception.

I have found that it's better to get similar videos by a couple or few different clinicians, watch them both, glean what you can from what they both say, then try it. Go on their websites if you can and ask them about your challenges, often they will respond to a direct question knowing you've bought a video.

Finally, there are more and more travelling clinicians trained by these guys. They aren't cheap either, but you can try stuff from those videos, learn what you can and then attend a clinic by that clinician or his "certified" designee to pull it all together.

I haven't heard of a lot of people who have stuck with one clinician via video or book learned everything they've taught with the success they have exhibited and progressed quickly. Each of us has different personality traits and we each learn differently.

I would suggest to you that you get all the information you can from all sorts of means - watch, through buying or renting, all the videos you can - read all the books you can - watch all the RFD TV you can for these clinicians (it's "free" knowledge if you have access already to the channel). Get to as many clinics as you can and if you can't afford to take your horse it's worth it to pay the fee to watch and even stay at a hotel overnight, you do learn a lot watching and you can ask questions from the audience.

The things that need to be learned to interact with our horses come naturally to only a few. These guys who've built their lives on it, live it and breathe it every day - they've learned just like us "normal" people have to, but they've learned in an accelerated manner due to the time they had available and their vocations such as ranchers or rodeoers or trainers to learn it. Those of us with typical 8-10 hour a day jobs who get little time with our horses which must be shared with this learning take much longer to learn. any time you can spend with a person with you and your horse is better but likely more expensive.

As a last thing, when I listen to Clinton, I tend to get a little lost in his accent. My mind wanders and I start paying attention more to how he's saying things than what he's saying. I find him hard to focus on.

• gallop

I believe the videos can be a wonderful aid to someone with enough experience and "horse sense" to incorporate the techniques into an already well educated and experienced horseman's program. If you have never been involved in hands on training of a horse, then working directly with a trainer is the way to go. I trained and worked with trainers for a lifetime before I studied natural horsemanship with a trainer who actually worked with Parelli and Anderson. I spent 4 months with my horse training with her. I love the ground training techniques, and while some of it was similar to what I had been doing for years, some was new and better and either faster or a better means to the end. I thoroughly believe that using videos to help you train your horse is a great idea, and the cost is minimal compared to what it would cost to actually train with these people. If the alternative is to just use trial and error to work with your horse, then the videos are the next best choice.

• John W

of all the trainers I like clinton anderson I don't know if you have seen RFD tv it has all the trainers on 2 times a week http://www.rfdtv.com/ and if you get rfd the lessons are free and well worth watching I also like Chris Cox. the best thing to do is hire a local trainer and then add in your own stuff then spending money on a video set

try parelli. i don't know if its cheaper but i like it better. otherwise look around at other natural horsemanship styles until you find a cheaper one. they are all fairly similar and can be easily adapted to be more like his method. also i think that he has shows on tv sometimes too. that's not as complete but it is helpful. if you can't find a cheaper version or a second hand set i would buy them.