Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Recommended books/novels/series?

What are some books you recommend? I am a very avid reader, and I was hoping fellow users can help me. :) Personally, I like books from a higher reading level.

If you have any suggestions for me (which would be highly appreciated) may you please include:

Title.

Author.

And a brief summary.

Thank you. :)

Edit:

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! :D I have, however, read the Twilight saga. It was amazing! I recommend it for anyone! :)

Best Answer

Only The Best by Una Mary Parker.

Beverley feels like the luckiest girl in the world. Champagne, glamour and Viscount Amesbury. After a whirlwind courtship, she settles down to married life. An unexpected tragedy calls the grief-stricken girl to Anthony's ancestral home. Here, she feels sure, she can achieve the best for their son.

A Guilty Pleasure by Una-Mary Parker.

When David and Julia spend Christmas with David's family at Chelwood Grange, Julia detects undercurrents of jealousy and deceit. When tragedy strikes the family, David's initial reaction turns to more sinister behaviour and Julia suspects the man she loves is the man she should fear most.

False Promises by Una-Mary Parker.

Toby and Liza share a life of wealth, privilege and marital bliss - not a day goes by without Liza counting her blessings. Then her life is thrown into turmoil when Toby disappears without trace.

The book Uglies by Scott Westerfield by far was the best book I have ever read. It's about a girl named Tally who lives in a futuristic world where anything less than perfect is plain ugly. At age 16, everyone gets an operation to turn them into a 'pretty'. However, there is a band of rebels that fights against the operation. Tally is sent after them by the city but she then realizes that maybe the rebels do have a point. It's a story of morality and decisions. I loved the whole saga, which includes the sequels, Pretties, Specials, and Extras.

If you think that book isn't for you, try these ones:

Have you ever read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown? Likewise, try Deception Point by the same author. These are both more challenging for the average young teen year old and fall under the alternate universe genre.

There's a 99.9% chance that you've heard about Twilight by Stephanie Meyer so I won't bother explaining. The Host by Stephanie Meyer was really good too. I liked the plot better than Twilight's. It's much more intellectual because it made you think a lot more.

Thrill Ride by Rachel Hawthorne was very cute. I loved every minute of it! It`s about a girl who gets a job at an amusement park away from her boyfriend and meets a new guy. By doing so, she realizes her boyfriend isn`t all that and manages to overcome her fear of heights.

The Giver by Lois Lowry is pretty cool. It explores a utopia (or dystopia) depending on how you look at it. It's sequels Gathering Blue and Messenger also work. You don't need to read the in any order.

The Chloe and Levesque Series and The Mike and Riel series were the books my friends and I were reading in the eighth and seventh grade. They're a collection of mysteries all solved by Chloe and Mike. I love them because they're so suspenseful and I almost never manage to figure out the culprit until the very end when they finally tell me.

The Prophecy of the Stones was originally written when the author, Flavia Bujor when she was just fifteen! Likewise, The Outsiders (even though you've probably read it) was written by a fifteen year old, S.E. Hinton as well. The plot and writing was well done.

Shanbanu and it's two sequels by Suzanne Fisher Staples were amazing. The first one is not a romance novel but I suggest you read it anyways. The next two are more loved based and they were all sad. I loved them. They gave me a new perspective of life, you know?

The Dating Game by Natalie Standiford. It's one of those fun books where you learn nothing but is really exciting.

Anything by Meg Cabot would work. Most of her books are heavy on the romance side. There's the Princess Diaries series (I've read those since the fifth grade, and I'm still reading them as they come out). Also, Queen of Babble was really good and funny. There's also Size 12 is Not Fat, Size 14 Is Not Fat, and Big Boned which are all in a series. However, in that series, Big Boned is the only love story in there.

There's also the Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor that follows a girl named Alice from third to tenth grade (where the last book left off). You feel like you're her friend as you can see the way she grows up without a mother and learns new things about life, friendship, and of course, boys. There's many subplots such as homosexuality (her friend, not her) and child molestation.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson is very dark and cryptic. It should be something everyone should read despite the questionable content. It's about a girl who goes to a high school party in the eighth grade and gets raped by a older boy. She calls the cops but doesn't tell them it was her who called or why so no one else knows what happens either. Because she called the cops, the students in high school all hate her because of her phone call. This is a great book about self realization.

The Face on the Milk Carton and its sequels are fantastic. About a girl named Jamie who realizes that she is adopted, she struggles with whether or not she fits in with her biological family or with the family she has been raised with for all this time.

After that, there's the obvious classics:

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is my favourite out of all of them. It's really well written and I liked the aspect of thinking that Jane has. Even though Rochester does seem like a perve sometimes.... it's a good read nevertheless.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is very good as well. Personally, I wouldn't put it up with Jane Eyre though: that's just me.

Historical Fiction:

Both Sides of Time series- Caroline B. Cooney (also romance)

Bloody Jack series-L. A. Meyer (also adventure)

If I Should Die Before I Wake- Han Nolan

The Great and Terrible Beauty series- Libba Bray (also fantasyish fiction)

The Other Boleyn Girl- Philippa Gregory

The Queen’s Fool- Philippa Gregory

The Constant Princess- Philippa Gregory

The Bolelyn Inheritance- Philippa Gregory

The Book Thief- Markus Zusak

Fantasyish Fiction

Twilight series- Stephenie Meyer (also romance)

The Mediator series- Meg Cabot (also romance)

Avalon High- Meg Cabot (sorta)

Uglies series-Scott Westerfeld

Midnighters series- Scott Westerfeld

Fiction:

All American Girl- Meg Cabot

Airhead- Meg Cabot

The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things - Carolyn Mackler

Fly on the Wall- E. Lockhart

Megan Meade’s Guide to the McGowan Boys- Kate Brian

Lucky T- Kate Brian

The Five People You Meet in Heaven- Mitch Albom

My Sister’s Keeper- Jodi Picoult

Change of Heart- Jodi Picoult

The Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown

Romance:

The Angels Trilogy- Lurlene Mcdaniel

The Pact- Jodi Picoult

The Notebook- Nicholas Sparks

Mystery:

Stranger With My Face- Lois Duncan

Down A Dark Hall- Lois Duncan

Locked in Time-Lois Duncan

Any book by R.L Stine

Non- Fiction

A Child Called It- Dave Pelzer

Who Killed My Daughter- Louis Duncan

Diary of a Young Girl- Anne Frank

Ophelia by Lisa Klein

Ophelia is Hamlet told from Ophelia's point of view. I found it an extraordinarily marvelous book. The elements of suspense in Ophelia remain irresistable. It tells the story of a simple, young woman, who blossoms into a woman of wit and excitement. Not only that, but it tells the exciting tale of how Hamlet and Ophelia came to be.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

I would highly recommend Eragon. It is a book of amazing fantasy and adventure. It starts off as Eragon, a poor farm boy, who comes across a stone that he thinks can buy his family meat for the winter. The stone turns out to be a dragon's egg. Little did he know that it would change his life forever. It is a wonderfully written book, you won't be able to put it down.

The Harry Potter Series

By J.K. Rowling

Odds are high that you've already heard of it, but it one of the best series on the shelves today. After reading books of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, their personalities become irresistible and you yearn to discover more about the dark depths of the wizarding world. From the mysterious escape from Azkaban, to the Triwizard Tournament, Harry Potter will never keep you bored.

• Norine

West with the Night, Beryl Markham (Real-life; rated one of the best 100 nonfiction books written in the past 100 years.) In a Sunburned Country, Bill Bryson Carry On, Jeeves, P. G. Wodehouse. Both are comedy/humor. Expecting Adam, Martha Beck Tree Shepherd's Daughter, Gillian Summers (trilogy). Both are Romance. EA is also Real-life. The Path of the Higher Self, Mark Prophet Nonfiction about understanding self. The Great Divorce, C. S. Lewis Fiction about understanding self. Both well-written, profound. The Cat Who Could Read Backwards, Lilian Braun Start of a series of "The Cat Who..." light mysteries. Hidden Camera, Zoran Zivkovic. Light allegorical mystery. The Long Walk, Rawicz When Invisible Children Sing, Chi-Cheng Huang Stay Alive, My Son, Pin Yathay. Wind, Sand and Stars, Saint-Exupery. Real-life adventures. Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell Superfreakonomics, Steven Levitt They Call Me Coach University of Destruction, David Wheaton Useful advice.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - set in the Middle Ages

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

Jane Eyre by Charlottte Bronte

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Emma by Jane Austen

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

My Antonia by Willa Cather

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

For One More Day by Mitch Albom

More Info at link below.

You may browse at the 3 I just wrote to see if you like that material?

Books & My Battle With The Book Publishers (now Published!!) @ www.ourbookz.com

Source(s): Author TG McIntyre

the twilight saga :)

twilight 1st book

new moon 2nd book

eclipse 3rd book

breaking dawn last book *sniff*

stephenie meyer.

its a book about how a male vampire falls in love with a plain human girl, he loves her a lot but at the same time he wants to drink her blood, but he's too strong for that. ur on ur own for the rest. its a really good book and i recommend it to everyone :)

"The Power of One"

Bryce Courtnay

This is about a young dutch africaner boy growing up in Africa. It is a story about him growing up and learning about hate and fairness in life. This is one of the best books I have ever read.