asked in TravelCanadaToronto · 1 decade ago

Is University of Toronto also a dental school?

I would love to become a dentist and I am planning to go to University of Toronto because it is really good for me and after I pass university, I have to go to a dental school, too so I am not sure where the dental schools are. Or is University of Toronto a dental school?

Thanks so much!

• fiz
    Best Answer

Like others have mentioned, there is a dental school within the University of Toronto. The Faculty of Dentistry is considered to be the largest of its kind in Canada. It's part of the St. George campus, and is located downtown at Dundas and University Avenue in the vicinity of the Toronto hospitals (Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto General, Mt. Sinai, etc.).

U of T emphasizes the sciences (especially at the graduate level), so I'm sure that choosing their dental school would be a worthwhile decision. Their DDS (Doctor of Dental Surgery) program is what you would enroll in after completing your undergraduate degree.

You can take a look at the program here: http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/underg...

They require you to have taken some biochem and physiology courses as part of your first degree. A majority of applicants tend to have Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) degrees in the Life Sciences, so this is the kind of program you should aim to get into for now. Professional schools tend to place a heavy emphasis on grades, so it's important to choose a university for your B.Sc where the curriculum complements your learning abilities.

Keep in mind that you don't have to have a B.Sc from the University of Toronto to get into their dental school. You can get a degree from generally any other university and then apply to the Faculty of Dentistry here.

Also, there are other dental schools you could look into aside from the one at U of T. This link will take you to a list of dentistry schools in Canada: http://www.acfd.ca/en/links/index.html

I wish I could give you an insight into the other schools in the link, but I'm not too familiar with them. Hopefully someone can chime in and help.

Best of luck.

• Mary

UT is a very tough school to get into, as it has a incredibly solid reputation among Canadian universities. While the university has minimums, the actual cutoff to get in can be significantly higher depending on what your major is. For some majors, you would need a 3.5 or higher. It's been 15 years since I went through the litany of dealing with college applications, but UT wants people who have done more than just study. They want well-rounded people from a diverse population. With that being said, I enjoyed my time there beyond words.

• jmssky

Yes, UofT has a great dental school, its called the Faculty of Dentistry. I would research a bunch of different major universities around Canada like McGill, McMaster and so on to find other Dentistry programs.

• Yes it is,but it is better known as a University specializing in law.

Source(s): My demented brain!