Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between density dependent and density independent population growth?

Alright so i'm studying for my ecology midterm and we are on population and i don't quite know what the difference between density independent and density dependent growth are.

Density independent can be (apparently) calculated with geometric or exponental and density dependent can be calculated with logistic equation.

This kinda doesn't make any sense to me so if there's people that understand this and know what i'm talking about that would be great.

I've tried wikipedia and what not, but it doesn't make much sense, so if someone can explain it to me with their words I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Density independent growth means that the rate of growth is not altered by the density of the population. Therefore, it can keep growing and growing.

Density dependent growth means that at some point the density starts to limit the rate of growth. This means that the rate of growth will start to slow down as the density increases beyond a certain point. This is the plateau part of the graph.

In reality, all populations experience density-dependent growth because we live in a finite space. But, these populations can be in their exponential growth stage when their densities are low.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • bojan
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Density Independent Growth

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

i'm in 7th grade, and know SOME stuff. okay mitosis. just remember THIS: PMAT. like u know, a pee mat for dogs? CELL CYCL OF A SOMATIC CELL (body cell) P: prophase (chromatin condenses to form chromosomes. centrioles move to opposite sides of nucleus. spindle fibers attach to chromosomes. nuclear membrane breaks M: metaphase (spindle fibers are attached. chromosomes line up.) A: anaphase (chromoatids seperate and new chromosomes move to opposite sides of the cell.) T: telophase.(2 new nuclear membranes form. chromosomes unwind. centrioles break down by the lysosomes. cell begins to pinch in the middle.) CYTOKINESIS (CELL DIVISION) HAPPENS. PROTEIN BAND CONTRACTS IN THE MIDDLE. the somatic cell's growth is :G1 phase (growth), S Phase (synthesis, copies DNA and organelles), G2 phases (growth). THEN mitosis. CELL CYCLE FOR ASOMATIC CELLS (NOT BODY CELLS). this is SPERM AND EGG. it's interphase (growth) is the same as mitosis, but different phases as the following: Prophase 1: same Metaphase 1: homologus chromosomes pair up in a line. Anaphase 1: homologus chromosomes seperate Telophase 1: nuclear membrane reforms. cytokinesis forms (haploid cells) Prophase 2: same Metaphase 2: same anaphase 2: same telophase2: 4 completely different cells. 1/4 size of normal cells. 1/2 number of chromosomes: haploid. okay, for structure of DNA AND RNA, look that up on google. i can't draw that here. transcription crap: transcription: copying dna to leave the nucleus. dna read by ribosomes. copied into mRNA. it is showed as: DNA ---> mRNA Translation: converting RNA language to protein language. shown as: mRNA ---> tRNA ----> protein. btw, tRNA = TRANSFER RNA. sorry, i'm only in 7th grade. i hope i helped. good luck, and study. message me for more help.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.