JOHN B asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Walking in place vs actually walking ?

How good are the effects of walking in place vs actually walking around? On my lunch hour, I take time to read and Ive found I can stand on the 6th floor of the parking garage and walk in place while holding my book against a stairway railing. Are the benefits Im getting by moving my legs up and down for a 20-30 min period almost as good as actually walking for 20-30 mins?

• Jackie
    Favorite Answer

its good..but nothing beats walking on terrain. Your doing the treadmill its better than nothing right?

It's NOT going to hurt you but, the results will be minimum at best. Plus trying to read and walk eh' you can't really be walking fast enough to get your heartrate going.. It may strengthen you legs a bit.. Why not try listening to an audiobook on your mp3 player or ipod or cd player and going around the block or walking up the 6 flights of stairs 2-3 times...

Or try marching instead of walking.. I had the best legs when I was in Marching Band in HS... Wear small ankle weights for better results.

good luck

degree away that bowl of cereal or maybe oatmeal, alongside with the fruit, loco, maple syrup, milk, and yogurt you help to strengthen it. Have a collection of measuring cups and spoons around extremely of eyeballing.