Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 1 decade ago

What Countries are part of the United Kingdom?

I may sound stupid for asking but i want to know for sure...Is it just England and Ireland [or Northern Ireland] or are there anymore?

I'm asking because me and my boyfriend are planning on getting working vacation visa's to go over to the UK for a year so we'd like to know for sure, due to the fact that we'd like to do as much as we can, and be able to work here and there to help with expenses of travel.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I cut this from the encyclopedia:

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain (includes England, Scotland, and Wales) and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain,

It is a sovereign island country located off the northwestern coast of continental Europe. The UK spans the island of Great Britain, the northeast part of the island of Ireland, and many small islands.

Northern Ireland is the only part of the UK with a land border, sharing it with the Republic of Ireland.

Apart from this land border, the UK is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the North Sea, the English Channel and the Irish Sea. The largest island, Great Britain, is linked to France by the Channel Tunnel."

All this reminds me of the old joke, about a friend of a business man who came a day late for an appointment. The secretary told the man that her boss had departed for the "United Kingdom".

Oh,so sorry, said the man, is it too late to send lfowers?

• The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

If you wish to travel to the Republic of Ireland, by rights you should get a Visa, but I would only do this if you wish to work while you are there. If you just plan to visit, there really isn't any need to bother with a Visa because you can drive, bus or get the train across the border and you are never asked to show any form of identification. (There are no checkpoints)

As a side note, Northern Ireland and Ulster are not the same thing, so therefore Ulster is NOT part of the UK, as another answerer incorrectly stated.

• 1 decade ago

First it was England and Scotland, then England, Scotland, Wales, and all of Ireland for a long time, then just Northern Ireland, and only until very recently there was frequent violence, especially along the border areas, from both sides; Loyalists (want Northern Ireland to exist) and Republicans (want the country of Ireland to encompass the entire island).

Source(s): History
  • 1 decade ago

England, Wales, Scotland and Norther Ireland make up the United Kingdom.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

- The United Kingdom is a union of four constituent countries: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

More on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

- And for getting work, check out http://www.jobsite.co.uk/

- Then for wanting to learn more on travel expenses and other help, i think better check this out:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?...

HOPE IT HELPS!

Source(s): Wikipedia.org Jobsite.co.uk Lonely Planet.com
  • 1 decade ago

Thankfully, Republic of Ireland is not a part of the UK. Ulster still is.

• 1 decade ago

england scotland wales and north ireland

Source(s): english class angelo saxton period
  • 1 decade ago

england, scotland, wales, northern ireland. but NOT the republic of ireland (thank god!!)

Source(s): im from the republic of ireland.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I believe its England, Ireland and Scotland

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Australia country is under the governor of United Kingdom. So it is part of the United Kingdom.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.