JDW asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

Instrument Rating!!!!?

I am currently taking my commercial license and my Single Engine Instrument rating. When I want to upgrade to a Multi instrument will I have to complete all the cross country etc. again or can you just take a multi IFR flight test?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The instrument rating is a rating on the category (Airplane), not class (Single Engine). This means your instrument rating is good for any airplane, regardless of the class or type. Assuming you have your instrument rating first, that will apply to all subsequent class and type ratings, assuming you demonstrate instrument proficiency on those checkrides.

It's hard to give a short answer and explain it clearly, so bear with me.

Example 1: You have your Commercial Pilot - Airplane Single Engine Land certificate. You add on an Instrument Airplane rating. You're now certified to fly IFR in a Single Engine Land airplane (the only kind on your certificate). You now want to add a multiengine rating. Part of your checkride will be instrument procedures so you can demonstrate your instrument proficiency in a multiengine airplane. Upon successful completion, your certificate will read: Commercial Pilot - Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane. Your instrument rating counts for both single engine and multiengine airplanes.

Example 2: You are a private pilot in single engine land airplanes (no instrument rating). You add on a multiengine rating. There are no instrument procedures on the checkride because you are not instrument rated. Your certificate now reads Private Pilot - Airplane Single and Multiengine Land. Now you want to add on an instrument rating. You complete all of the requirements for the instrument rating and take the checkride in a single engine airplane. Upon successful completion of your flight test, your certificate will read: Private Pilot - Airplane Single and Multiengine Land, Instrument Airplane. BUT- you have not yet demonstrated instrument proficiency in a multiengine airplane, so you will have a limitation placed on your certificate: Limitations - Airplane Multiengine Land VFR Only. You can get that limitation removed by flying part of your checkride in a multiengine airplane.

Hopefully that information helps you understand how the ratings and limitations work. To give you a direct answer to your question, the most efficient way to build your ratings is to do everything in single engine airplanes for now. Fulfill the requirements for your commercial certificate and instrument rating. Once you have those, you no longer have to fulfill any of those requirements again for additional ratings. A multiengine add-on will just require that you are able to meet commercial/instrument standards in a multiengine airplane. It might take 5 hours, it might take 20. But there is no specific experience requirement.

• Rob G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Assuming you're in the USA.... Assuming you have a commercial single-engine and instrument rating, when you go for your multi commercial, you will not have to plan a cross country like you did with your commercial single since none of that would be any different in a twin versus a single. You also will not have to do chandelles, lazy eights or eights on pylons. I can't remember everything, but expect to have to do stalls, steep turns, Vmc demonstration, in-air engine shutdown with a restart and a single-engine instrument approach. Look in the Commercial Multi-Engine PTS for exactly what you have to do.

Just to be picky, it's not an instrument checkride. You will already have an instrument rating. The only instrument part of a commercial multi checkride is a single-engine instrument approach.

Source(s): former MEI
  • 1 decade ago

If you are getting your commercial rating first you will only need to take one check ride. If you get your multi before that you will take a check ride in a single engine and a multi engine. Taking it last will save you a ton of money. Your IR has nothing to do with your multi engine. IFR in one plane is the same as another.

• SkyDog
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

You will have completed the hour requirements before you are able to take your single-engine commercial and instrument check-ride. You will not have to fulfill those times in duplicate. Once you have completed those check-rides the only requirement for taking a multi add-on, is to perform the require maneuvers to the satisfaction of the instructor who signs you off to take the check-ride.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You will practice a few approaches in the multi-engine airplane, particularly approaches on one engine.

Then you will do an approach or two with your commercial-multi checkride, to have instrument privileges in the multi-engine airplane.

Source(s): been there done that.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.