Kora asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Universal Healthcare: Socialism or just common sense?

50,000,000 + without medical coverage, people with supposedly "good" insurance getting denied full coverage when they get sick, etc.

How do you justify a super power, such as the US, dismissing the basic healthcare needs of so many by letting insurance and drug companies run wild as they gouge those who get seriously ill? The western world, for the most part, considers healthcare a basic right for every citizen. Just like childhood education, law enforcement, the fire department, disaster relief, and social security. John McCain said the "fundamentals" of the US economy are its workers. Under that logic, isn't it time for the government to start taking care of its "fundamentals" and keep its citizens healthy and ... what's that word... ALIVE! Isn't that good for the economy?

Hey McCain! -> Country first maybe, but citizens definitely second.

The healthcare in Canada is not perfect, but it's pretty good overall. And ER is prioritized. Also there are many free clinics that take away from the ER load. When I went, it took me 20 minutes to be seen.

Clearly universal healthcare is the way to go, as countries from England to France to Australia (and numerous others) have benefited from this. No offence, but you Americans are totally brainwashed. Taxes are not even that high up here.

Doctors don't have to meet a quota either...therefore, they are not out to get your money. Their focus is on patient care. Like I said, we got it pretty good here. You Americans don't realize how much you are actually getting screwed.

When my sister was diagnosed with terminal cancer, the government provided everything she needed, from hospital beds to medication. All free. Plus everything was delivered to her house. She even had a caregiver. When she died, she did so with dignity, in her own bed, as comfortable as possible.

Thank you Government of Canada.

Favorite Answer

It amuses me that Americans use this word "socialism" like it's the evil of all evils. The American Medical Association and the pharmaceutical industry has been feeding people a huge load of misinformation about universal health care for years, and the public seems to be going for it. One of the biggest issues is that a government operated system would have huge admin costs while an efficient, private system would not. That is a load of rubbish. A recent study showed that the Canadian system spent 11% on admin costs while the US system spent 34%. Another lie is that your right to privacy would be jeopardized in a government system and doctors would be totally controlled by government. That is absolute bs. Of course there are problems in the Canadian system, but not the way it's painted in the US.

FACT:

36 million people and counting are without health care in the US.

Even those with coverage can be refused by a provider and must sell or re mortgage their home to pay for the costs.

Of all the G7 countries, the US has the highest infant mortality rate. That is criminal in one of the richest countries in the world.

I truly believe Americans need to wake up to the fact that they're really getting screwed. No money for a universal health care plan? How about the 10 billion dollars a month spent to support an illegal war in Iraq? How about the 700 billion dollar bailout for the thieves and fraud artists on Wall St?

Please, give me a break.

"When my sister was diagnosed with terminal cancer, the government provided everything she needed, from hospital beds to medication. All free. Plus everything was delivered to her house. She even had a caregiver. When she died, she did so with dignity, in her own bed, as comfortable as possible.

Thank you Government of Canada"

Sorry to Hear about your sister.

Now It was not FREE everyone's TAXES Paid for it so you need to Thank the Other People Of Canada not the Govt .

I keep seeing all through your Post , about it's All FREE No It's NOT . The People Of Canada pay for it through Higher Taxes .

What is the Tax Rate in Canada?

How long is the Average wait for a Elective surgery , such as Tube put in a Child's Ears ?

Our Govt can't manage Social Security so I really do not want some Govt Bureaucrat handling my or my family's Health Care. I also pay enough in Taxes to pay for all the Social Programs already in effect here , That have Created 4 and 5 Generation Welfare Family's So no I am sorry but I think National Health Care is wrong .

Add; To the Poster below me , There is no free education , I have two children in School , Believe me it's not Free .

Also a Right Does not Cost someone Else for you to Have It .

The United States is the ONLY wealthy, industrialized nation that does not provide universal health care... Countries that HAVE some form of Universal Healthcare: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Cuba, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, Brunei, China, Hong Kong SAR, India, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Thailand, and many others. Even Mexico is planning to launch its own universal health care system... I can't even AFFORD to go to the doctor anymore... Are we missing something here in the U.S.?

• Dollar hat, looking at your questions and answers, it's clear your an idiot.

I bet you didn't know we currently pay more for worst healthcare compared to other industrialized nations.

How to pay for universal healthcare?

All the money people currently pay toward individual health insurance premiums, should just go into a one payer government system. Any thing that falls short, would be taken care of with (*GASP*) corporate taxes, since corporations won't be paying for their workers healthcare benefits anymore.

PROBLEM ******* SOLVED.

I think it'll be a great day when if you need medical attention, you can just go to a hospital and not worry about how well or if you're covered, if you're going to go bankrupt for falling ill, etc.

I think it's absurd that Americans don't regard healthcare as a basic human right.

Why don't they complain about free public education? That's a socialist system as well. Is it evil too?

Give me a bloody break.

If you want something messed up royally, then involve the royals.

IF our schools, farming, banking, and industry were all just clicking down the tracks without a hitch I would agree with you 100%. However, they are not. When our federal government gets into "business" then the business gets run over, federally. History and our current state of affairs can be found clearly supporting this position.

I do not understand how subjecting our health care industry to a voracious government that is bloated and abusive and is frequently found reeling from one cash cow buffet to another would "cure" the disease from which we are suffering.

I do believe that there is one benefit we could expect to see. It would not take too long for everyone to realize just what "oversight" means.

some models work well, some not so much

over in the UK, they have excellent healthcare, but a bit of a backup overall for things like surgery and such.

its a good idea, its difficult to implement. neither candidate is speaking about providing universal healthcare flat out, but Obama will boost up alot of cover for qualified people.

In dozens of countries free health care is a basic human birth right.

It only makes sense that people should be taken care of,regardless of their income or status.

Yes,it leans to socialism,but to automatically label everything that socialism stands for as stupid and not plausible,is just down right moronic.

where you get the money to pay for all of it? less pay for medical personnel? less quality of medical care? do you really understand what's going on in other countries?

It doesn't work in Canada it won't work here!