Opinions on energy supplements?

I have been trying to do some aerobic exercise daily. I find that I can't get started without at least having two cups of coffee or an energy drink. Is this something that I should be concerned about?, or is it normal to need an energy booster to exercise?

Favorite Answer

It's not uncommon to use energy suppliments when you first start exercising. But after a while your body will naturally have more energy because it will start to use calories for energy more efficiently. Although this means unless you want to lose weight you will have to eat more to maintain this energy. On the negative side any stimulant will increase the work load on your heart that on top of working out puts strain on your heart.

It's normal to need an extra kick however I suggest switching to Tea as it may have more benefits. I know it's difficult because I was an avid coffee drinker in college and since then I have decided to wean myself off.

Here's a lil article on pros & cons of both:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health-fitness/...

**Note:"Caffeine can also precipitate heartburn, anxiety, and rapid heartbeat." Of course both tea and Coffee have Caffeine so I would try to have a minimal amount before working out as your heart rate could be really high-potentially affecting blood pressure.

Check out your Caffeine BP Risks:

"To see if caffeine might be raising your blood pressure, check your blood pressure within 30 minutes of drinking a cup of coffee or another caffeinated beverage you regularly consume. If your blood pressure increases by five to 10 points, you may be sensitive to the blood-pressure-raising effects of caffeine. If you plan to reduce your intake of caffeine, do so gradually over several days to a week to avoid withdrawal headaches."

As for energy drinks. I'm not a fan.

It's not uncommon and I recommend drinking NO Explode. I have a class every morning whether I work out or not. Great for an energy boost and mental focus.

nope its perfectly natural just dont have more than 2 coffees each day xx

caffiene is good for weight loss and a good energy booster.

bodybuilding.com