If the rule is "I before E except after C",?

isn't weird weird?

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Its proper spelling is actually weïrd -- it's a two syllable word.  The function of the "ei" is not to simply make the "ee" sound as in most other "ie"/"ei" words.  It should be (or once was) pronounced "wee-erd."

• 1 decade ago

It's simply the way English is - which some consider to be the hardest language in the world to learn as a second language. Think about it - the way we use the combination of the letters 'ough' has nine different sounds. Think of the words 'through', 'though', 'tough', and 'bough', just to name a few of them. And what about the words 'sew' and 'so'? Imagine how difficult that might be for someone to try to learn as a second language! We have few rules that don't have some type of exception.....

• 1 decade ago

well it is a funny rule, it might be only if there is a c in the word. Since there is no c in the word weird then it doesn't apply to the rule. It is only if there is a c in the word. This doesn't apply to the word weird or their at all.

Source(s): English Fanatic!
  • 1 decade ago

No, just one of a few exceptions. i before e except for after c is more like a pain. But, dear old and mostly reliable, Spell Checker is here to rescue us from this weirdness.

Source(s): Public School Education
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Try this

i before e

except after c

or when sounding like "a"

as in neighbor or weigh

i before e

except after c

but we live in a weird society

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, there are a lot of exceptions to that rule...

the English language is the hardest one to learn

• 1 decade ago

Umm...

"Weird" would be an exception to the rule, if that's what you're trying to get at.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's one of the many exceptions to the rule...

• 1 decade ago

Yes. That is correct. Some words are special, like weird.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.