kdc asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

MY cat was diagnosed with fatty liver disease 2days ago HELP!!!?

I have a 7yr normally 21lb(yes over weight) manx cat . she was very quiet and not eating as well so I brought her to the vet. she was checked for diabetes which was NEG and KIDNEY which was NEG . BUt one thing that came up was her liver screening the vet said Diagnosed her with "FATTY LIVER Disease" she also said she was jaundice. she said it seemed like the start of it so she put her on SAMe for the liver and mirtazapine every3days for appetite.

She only eats hard food, milk or clam sauce(funny) but never soft food or tuna.

she seems to want to eat although i force feed her a/d 5 times aday equalingg 1can) she will also eat about 6 pieces of hard food 6-7 times a day on her own. and she will drink..

My question is I would like to give Milk Thistle, or L-carnitine, or glutamine. Has anyone ever mixed this with the SAMe liver pill??

maybe I would just give Milk Thistle,PLEASE help me and let me know how much this big girl should have???

also I have heard that L-carnitine can cause heart problems.

Thank you for all the help and please let me know how I can get this baby doll feeling better quicker!!!

God bless you all!!

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry your kitty doesn't feel good. From what I know milk is not good for cats. Talk to your vet, if you are not getting good answers from the vet, call another one.

good luck

I think what you're describing is hepatic lipidosis, which can occur in cats when they don't eat. The lack of nutrients forces the cat's body to break down fats for energy, which in turn can infiltrate the liver. This is particularly problematic in overweight cats.

If this is what your cat was diagnosed with, the best thing you can do for your cat is ensure she is eating. It sounds like you are doing a great job with that already. The SAMe will also help protect the liver.

My advice is not to do ANYTHING without consulting her veterinarian first. This can be a serious condition, and you should strictly adhere to her treatment plan.

I'd give the vet a call, see what their recommendation is.

Good luck!

Source(s): vet tech

Cats should not eat dry food. It does not give them enough water in their diet. Feed a quality, grain-free canned food. Your cat is overweight, likely due to a diet of dry food because those often contain a lot of grains. Grains are high in carbohydrates, which is something cats do not need. They need meat protein such as turkey, chicken, lamb. NO BY-PRODUCTS. Read the label on the can.

Liver problems are common in overweight cats and can be serious if left untreated. You can reverse this, however, if you get your cat on a healthier diet. Feed a quality canned food such as Wellness or EVO, to name just two. There are others that are good, just read the labels and do not choose any that have rice, corn, wheat or wheat gluten. And again, no by-products. High protein, moderate fat, and low carbohydrate diet is key to your cat's health. With this, you could turn that liver problem around completely in a very short time.

My 8 year old tabby who was 16 pounds was throwing up clear, and losing weight, I took him to the vet. They diagnosed him with fatty liver disease and gave him fluids and shots of B-12 and Cortizone shots. The vet told me that in fatty liver disease it is hard usually without an MRI that cost 2,000$ to find out what is causing his liver to fail. They said he may bounce back, but probably not. Not eating causes this, and I felt awful because I did not notice he wasn't eating because I have 4 cats and food was getting ate but I did'nt know he wasn't eating. I noticed that night closely keeping him isolated from other cats he was trying to eat, but dropping food out of his mouth and shaking his head about. I told vet about this and they looked closer in his mouth and found 2 rotten teeth in back that were infected. They put him out only for a few minutes and pulled these two teeth. We still took him back to vet for fluids for a week, and nursed him back to health by giving him Nutri-cal ,Milk thistle, L-carnitine (broke open capsules and emptied out powder) and science diet a/d prescription food with a small bird feeding syringe. We read alot of this from Homeopathic "Remidies for Cats and Dogs" we got from the library. He recovered perfectly and started eating on his own about 5 days later. We thus discontinued all these supplements. He still though prefers soft food now, but probably because of his teeth. He is perfect now and has regained his playfulness. You have to put a lot of work in, but you can nurse them back if it is not an organ failing causing the liver to fail. It was worth it though because our Kitties are like family as I am sure yours is too! Good Luck don't give up!

Don't give you cat milk. Give her water. Fatty liver disease can be treated so take your cat to the vet.

Go shopping for new clothes—wriggling into 10 pairs of skinny jeans will get your heart rate up.

Walk your lunch outside or to another location in the office instead of sitting and eating at the desk.

Obtain a plant for your office—watering it's going to make you more active.

Follow your Veterinarian's recommendations and don't get caught up in all those other sideline drugs. You could do more harm than good!

Good luck and I hope your beautiful kitty does fine :-))

Schedule meetings to be held in far-off conference rooms.