Why do my car torque specs have a range?

When reading torque specs for my car in my service manual, there's always a range (I.E. 37 - 51 ft. lbs) Why is there a range and where between the two should I torque my bolts?

Favorite Answer

Not all bolts will have such a large torque range. That large of a torque range is for general bolts of a certain size. The 37 will be the minimum needed to keep the bolt/nut tight and the 51 is so you dont stretch and/or break the bolt or crush the object its holding.

Torque is pressure that is available for work. A one pound weight one foot off of the ground is like 1 ft lb of torque. It can move one foot and it weighs one pound. Now a one pound weight two foot of of the ground would have 2 foot lbs of torque. FYI: Horse power is related to how fast the weight is moved. So it is like this, if you have a 550 lb weight one foot off of the ground it has 550 ft lbs of torque and no horse power. If you release the weight and it falls that one foot in a second then you have one horse power and no torque once it hits the ground. Torque is the potential for work (static pressure), while horse power is how quickly the work is done. So if the 550 lbs took two seconds to drop on foot you only have one horse power, but if it took .5 seconds you would have two horse power. I hope this did not confuse you any further.

• hello

b/c anything within that range is safe to use. typically you want to be almost dead center b/w the two... in this case, with a 14 lb swing, 44 lbs.

go with 3 above the number on the left. its a minimum and max setting. ignore the max, it just to make it look better.

like peak wattage in a subwoofer.

set it to 40.

somewhere in the middle you should torque