Christians: Where do we draw the boundary line when answering lame or insulting questions about Christ?

Statistical surveys show that the non believer who is searching for the truth will have to hear the good news gospel 15 - 25 times before believing it and accepting it.

Would Jesus want us answering such insulting questions like the ones we view here on R & S from the mockers. We are encouraged to give answers, but where is the boundary line?

Matthew 7:6

"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

1 Peter 3:15

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Favorite Answer

Freedom-

I understand your question and it is a good one. When in doubt it is always best to search the scriptures. There you will find the answer to your question. If you go to the book of Matthew I believe your question is best answered by looking at how Jesus handled certain situations.

Read Matthew 21:23-27. There you will find where Jesus' authority was being challenged by the leading priests and elders. They questioned Jesus authority to teach what he was teaching and to do the things he was doing. " By what authority are you doing all of these things? Who gave you the right?" they asked.

Notice how Jesus answered: "I'Il tell you by what authority I do these things if you answer one question..."

After posing the question they were unable to give him an answer so they lied and said they didn't know. Jesus' answer was straightforward and final, " Then I won't tell you by what authority I do these things."

Jesus had them cornered and they knew it. If they gave one response they were trapped. If they gave the other response they were trapped. Game, set and match for Jesus.

My point is that Jesus knew their game and he would not engage them because he knew exactly what they were attempting to do. They were not interested in seeking truth. They were bent on bringing Jesus down. Their agenda was clear. Even after he told them a parable to make his point ( Matthew 21:28-44) they wanted him arrested. To wit, they were mocking him. They were mocking his authority. And he would have none of it.

I'm reminded of Timothy 4:2-5

"Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince , rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers and they will turn their ears away from truth and be turned aside to fables..."

Yes, it is appropriate that the believer does his/her best to share the gospel [even upon itching ears that long for untruths] but just as Jesus used discernment to weed out the mockers and those with an agenda and not give them a forum for their personal entertainment so too the believer ought to use discernment.

Remember also that the "enemy" uses all manner to distract so that your time is wasted rather than be put to the best use.

I think this is not a normal place for sharing Christ so the stats that suggest hearing the message of Christ 15-25 times may need to be far more often.

Also, for as many times as a person hears Christs message shared in a loving way, they may hear from many people who express themselves in a poor or false way, inviting a great deal of confusion.

Maybe look at it this way, If out of the 14,423 Questions you answered in the last 2 years and 3 days (happy anniversary by the way) you brought only one person to Christ, imagine the difference you have made to God's world. Wow almost 20 a day!

Good Work and God Bless.

My big goal is to remain respectful even when I am responding to a nasty heckler.

• Jed

Well of course. What I wrote in an earlier question, is that there are some that ask from ignorance, others from an already somewhat informed and insulting view.

Those which show themselves to be simply insulting, and not merely ignorant of the truth should NOT get an answer. Although I must admit I have answered them from time to time.

I see much ignorance on R&S...it seems that some will believe whatever they have been reading or hearing, without doing their own original reading or research.

There are some that ask in all sincerity, and these I know have open minds, free of the preconceived beliefs which prevent anything from enlightening them.

God's Spirit gives us "discernment" a sort of intuition. When God's Spirit gives me the sense that a question is merely disrespectful or ugly/ contemptuous I give it the go-by. I do not waste my time nor do I give attention to such wrong behavior. It does the asker no good and i don't think it helps anyone who wastes time reading it.

I do look for sincere questions where I can honor God with my answers and where I feel I have some kind of chance of helping someone who has a sense of spiritual hunger or spiritual need.

Source(s): 38 years as a Christian - Oct. 21, 1971

When the question is obvious mockery, I have begun to just pass it by most of the time. Occasionally I will answer anyway if I recognize a very obvious twisting of scripture, that is not so much for the sake of the asker as for the sake of others who may come on and actually think the asker has made a good point.

Gentleness and Respect...I always answer questions to help when its insulting I just say be careful what you say and however they choose to take it then it is on them...but I know that behind it all they really want to know the truth*Veracity is the heart of morality* I answer the question by being kind I always add a SMILE on the end just to let them know I was being as nice as possible yet truthful!

SMILE

Good Point by the way....you helped someone help someone else today and I don't think you even know it so again God Bless

I think the boundary line is very clear; I pass over countless questions that are really not questions at all.

Not so surprisingly, several folks have stepped up to the plate here and now to show that they have no clue whatsoever about boundaries.

I also acknowledge that in this world are men and women that God has already given over although He has not revealed their identities to the redeemed, nor should He.

We are told to give a reason for the hope that is within us.

We have to extend the same tolerance to them as God has shown to us. Which is pretty endless as, however much we might try, we fall short of what God wishes from us. But if we are repentant of our shortcomings we are told that we are forgiven.

One day, when our questioners have finished 'kicking against the pricks' they may, God willing, accept His offer of salvation. Until then we must try and show them why they should accept the grace of God while they may.

It's usually not too difficult to tell the difference between baiting "questions" designed only to mock, and misconceptions/misperceptions about Christians and/or the Gospel even if harshly or crudely worded. The latter may be worthwhile answering, in a calm and non-defensive fashion. The former will receive answers enough from like minds to provide the entertainment they seek, without our input.

Well, I think we need to look at it from Jesus's point of view. What did Jesus do when he was insulted by un-believers? Did he shy away from them? No. Did he hurl insults back at them? No. But what did he do?

Matthew 9:36 says

"But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd."

This is in reference to the time when Jesus was in his healing phase of ministry. The important thing to note here is that when Jesus saw the great amount of people, he had compassion for them even the un-believers. This verse says at the end, "as a sheep having no shepherd". What does that mean? It means that rather than walk away from those that are un-believers, Jesus reached out to them and cared for them, sick, blasphemous, what have you, he always reached down to others.

One final verse supports this.

Matthew 5:39 says

"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

So Jesus says here not to turn away from those that hate you or do not believe. He is calling us to love others no matter what they do. That is what Christ did, and we as Christians ought to do the same.

Edit: And to answer your question, the boundary line, is when the un-believer shows they will not heed to your answer. That is when you know to let them go. As long as you have done your part which is witness, then God will do the rest which is have his way.