I want to buy my dad a model airplane?

Apparently before I was born, my dad loved to build model air planes. He's an air plane nut and knows all the minuscule details about them. The problem is, I don't know jack about that stuff, my dad doesn't like gift certificates, and I want it to be a surprise. Any tips for buying him a good model air plane kit?

Best Answer

GOOD For You !!

At any good model hobby shop you can find GOOD plastic model aircraft kits for $20 and up. My favorite brands are: Tamiya, Hasegawa, MRC, and Revell. You would probably want to get a kit in 1/72 scale (1 foot of model = 72 ft of real airplane), they are smaller than 1/48 or 1/32 scale, and are therefore cheaper... BUT they are big enough to have plenty of detail.

Now as to picking him one... you could try asking some subtle questions: "What is the coolest airplane Daddy?" Try to determine his favorite time frame: World War I, WWII, Korean Era, Vietnam, or later. Is he into military aircraft or civilian ? Air Force or Navy ? Then pick a kit to go with his love !!

GOOD LUCK, and if you have further questions, just ask.

Source(s): Model Builder since 1974... large collection of US Naval Aircraft from World War II to the Present, all in 1/72 scale. US Naval Aircrewman / Limited Duty Officer 1985-1999

If you have a small chunk of money, take a look at the ready to fly small Radio Controlled (RC) helicopters that run on electricity and can be flown in the house - neat and fun. Available in several price ranges from amazingly cheap (for what you get) to more than enough ($15-150)

Building fixed models in plastic and building flying models are considerably different and you don't say. The cost of serious models can mount rapidly.

check the local yellow pages for hobby stores; call them and find out which ones handle model airplane kits; then go in and explain to the salesperson about your dad and what you are trying to do for him. In the stores around here, they would be more than happy to show you the different types of kits they have, how detailed each type is, and make suggestions on which ones he might enjoy.

Good luck.