Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

why is alcohol prohibited in islam?

this is for a report. we have to do four pages on islam and alcohol and i did 1 and a half. i ant think of anymore reasons. so please help. very much appreciated

asalamu alaikum!

Update:

yes people i mean drinking alcohol

22 Answers

Relevance
  • AH
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Alcohol intoxicates you, and you loose control over yourself. It's the root cause of several problems facing society now and can lead to so many sins, like one night stands, fights etc.

Anything that will make you lose control over yourself is Haram because it can be dangerous for you.

Alcohol has alot of negative affects over your body, and is not healthy for you... many die from exesive drinking too. Just look up the affects on your body on google for detailed examples.

The Qur’an prohibits the consumption of alcohol:

“O ye who believe! Intoxicants and Gambling, (Dedication of) stones, And (divination by) arrows, Are an Abomination – Of Satan’s handiwork; Eschew such (abomination), That ye may prosper.” [Al-Qur’an 5:90]

I took these stats from a website...

According to National Crime Victimization Survey Bureau of Justice (U.S. Department of Justice) in the year 1996 alone everyday on an average 2,713 rapes took place. The statistics tell us that the majority of the rapists, were intoxicated while committing the crime. The same is true in cases of molestation.

According to statistics, 8% of Americans commit incest i.e. one in every twelve to thirteen persons in America is involved in incest. Almost all the cases of incest are due to intoxication of one or both the persons involved.

One of the major factors associated with the spread of AIDS, the most dreaded disease, is alcoholism.

From the Hadith (Reported by Anas):

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said:

“God’s curse falls on ten groups of people who deal with alcohol. The one who distills it, the one for whom it has been distilled, the one who drinks it, the one who transports it, the one to who it has been brought, the one whom serves it, the one who sells it, the one who utilizes money from it, the one who buys it and the one who buys it for someone else.”

Alcohol (Satan's handiwork). Alcohol is a deviation from the natural state of man, for the individual as well as for society. It makes people do things they wouldn't in a natural state and they do not have a sense of right or wrong (well, accoring to how much they drink). Hence the consumption of alcohol is prohibited in Islam.

There's loads there, that should fill up the rest of your report lol :P

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Imagine the millions and billions of lives not abused and not killed if not murdered if we didn't have alcohol at all. I am talking about the drinkable product, not the medical product.

Imagine the many abused people on this earth, that go through living hell every week and massive party every weekend blaming God for their troubles.

Imagine how many babies would be saved from the start of this man made in toxin to the end of mankind if it was not in existence.

Its ok to wipe of an existence of species on the earth, but leave Alcohol and drugs alone.

Man people are so blind its unreal!

Many reasons, it separates the brain left from right the lobs disconnect.

Allah SWT has the best for you waiting, and its not here.

Alcohol can disrupt and is permeable to the cells of a body, one cell with infection can disrupt the rest.

This is a man made thing, not natural.

and the second reason is because a man or woman without their senses is easily disturbed by shytan.

Its not the drugs or alcohol, it what it does to you chemically that is the problem.

HUMANS ARE PATHETICALLY BLIND ITS UNREAL! I hate to call myself human because this existence has the most information and no idea how to process it. Totally useless.

Source(s): Watwat
  • 1 decade ago

It used to be halal and then God made it haram. It is said in Qoran that there are benefits and harms in Alcohol. It is best not to drink. I guess this is the reason why it was halal at first. Number one substance abuse is alcohol. NO MATTER WHAT. for example, a question says that a doctor is known to prescribe narcotics more than anybody else in the clinic. he is also suspected of abusing a substance. what substance he is most likely to abuse? Alcohol is the answer. 50% of traffic accidents are alcohol related. 50% of hospital admission is alcohol related. In Iran, if they catch you drink alcohol they will lash you 80 times. If they catch you 3 times, they'll hang you. I know I know this is no way an Islamic thing to do but this is how it is done in an Islamic Country. Good luck with your paper.

• 1 decade ago

Why is it forbidden to drink alcohol?

QUESTION:

Why does islam prohibit drinking alcohol even in small amounts? And what does Quran say about it?

ANSWER:

Praise be to Allaah.

No doubt alcohol is intoxicating, and contains this substance that makes people lose their minds. It says in the hadeeth, “Every intoxicant is khamr, and every khamr is haraam (forbidden).” If this is the case, then alcohol is considered to be forbidden and to come under the heading of “khamr”(wine, etc.) which people drink for relaxation or enjoyment. Allaah has forbidden it and stated that it is a sin, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They ask you (O Muhammad) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: ‘In them is a great sin, and (some) benefits for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit’”

[al-Baqarah 2:219]

If sin is present and it is great, then it is forbidden. Undoubtedly this alcohol is harmful to the mind and body, and Allaah has forbidden everything that harms the body and mind, and saps the strength. Everything that is harmful to a person is not permitted, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And do not kill yourselves”

[al-Nisaa’ 4:29]

“and do not throw yourselves into destruction”

[al-Baqarah 2:195]

And because this is an extravagant waste of money, an action of the spendthrift which comes under the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, the spendthrifts are brothers of the Shayaateen (devils)

[al-Israa 17:27]

Using alcohol in ways other than drinking it may be permitted if small amounts are used, such as mixing it with perfumes that are used on clothes or the body, because it keeps them from spoiling, and because it keeps the clothes clean. This is OK, but drinking it is not permissible under any circumstances.

-Hope this helps!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you really want to know why alcohol is prohibited in Islam go to a few Alcoholic Anonymous open meeting and see the destruction. It has no mercy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I can think of a million reasons lol. Just freakin list all the bad things that can happen when you drink alchohol and thier consequences, but make the consequences really loong like, for example Drinking+driving= accident=insurance rate higher=pissed parents=damaged car=ruined record= revoked license= harder to get to job. Just talk about useless crap like that lol.

• 1 decade ago

the reason to that is because u lose control of yourself and you are not in your senses. anything can go wrong! people end up doing things they wouldn't ever think of doing. girls get pregnant and not even know who the father or their baby is. if i was halal i would be drinking 24/7 but i know y its not halal but still it would be really cool. lol. my friend drinks and so does my uncle but inshallah i will stop them.

and oh yea u ppl who do thinks muslims are messed and brainwashed or watever ur ****. at least we dont get rapped by our own fathers. and dont waste our live on **** like drinkin just to end up dead

• 4 years ago

the intoxicant is the mother of the problems. Believers, wine, gambling, the stone altars and arrows (that the pagans associate with certain divine characters) are all abominable acts associated with satanic activities. Avoid them so that you may have everlasting happiness. (90) 90) Satan wants to induce hostility and hatred among you through wine and gambling and to prevent you from remembering God and prayer. Will you then avoid such things? (91)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Take a look around you in society, the worst problems that we are faced with is alcohol.

• 1 decade ago

Alcohol over time results in 'fatty liver disease' which can cause serious health problems

The number of assaults, sexual abuses, murders, that have resulted from alcohol use... Drunk parents, anyone?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.