Emankcin asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Is the yankees failure Brian Cashman's fault?

Or is he just unlucky. He seems to make the right moves. The 2001 squad lacked power so he brought in Giambi, his 002-03 sqauds lacked pitching so he brough in Kevin Brown, Javy Vasquez and eventually Randy Johnson. Now the team lacks youth so he brought up Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy, etc. Also of note is how other G.M.'s get away with ignoring things. Theo Epstein brought in an aging injured Curt Schilling and he won 20 games. Pat Gillick didn't give the Phillies a single .300 hitter.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I do not think so. You need to consider that George Steinbrenner is his boss. While Cashman has been the GM since 1998, Steinbrenner had much say in his moves until 2005, and now it seems like Hank and Hal Steinbrenner are undermining much of Cashman's authority. I blame most of the Yankees' recent failures on Steinbrenner's controlling ways and the inability of Steinbrenner and his Tampa faction to coordinate well with Cashman.

• 1 decade ago

You can't blame this all on Cashman. The yanks should have gone to this youth movement a while ago. They have an aging team. But the thing is, the yankees don't have a strong farm system. Other than Chamberlain and Cano, the rest have been busts. But lately, the farm system has been working a bit for them. Aceves and Coke have been great for them. But when your going throu a remodeling stage, it's going to be some tough years to come. But if their ready to spend all their cash on sabathia and texeria is the youth movement still on?

• 1 decade ago

He should have been bringing up the youth years ago. One year isn't going to correct all the failures. The Yankees did nothing for years but try to buy championships and it didn't work out for them.

Clemens worked out for them.. but look at when they were really at the top of their game, they brought them up from their system. Bernie, Jeter, O'neil, Petite. Not just slotting them in year after year.

Can't expect all the rookies to do everything their first year, they need time.

If Cashman made all the decisions it's his fault. My money is on George telling him what to do.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The players have to play. Otherwise, at the beginning of every year just give the championship trophy to the team with the highest payroll and not mess with playing the games.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Joel
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

The Yankees had some injuries and depth chart issues. Cashman couldn't prevent any of those things.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They went to the playoffs from 1995 - 2007, just how the hell is this a failure, and how can someone be blamed for it?

• 1 decade ago

What failure? I wouldn't exactly call them a failure--they won more games than they lost. if they were a failure I guess the 29 teams who didn't win the WS were also failures.

• Hoss
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

They look good on paper, but they still have to play the game.

• 1 decade ago

Yes he cares too much about hitting and can't get good pitchers

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.