ryan f asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

What's the quickest way to build stamina for a couch potato?

I was an athlete in high school, but like a lot of former school jocks that's where it ended. I just turned 33 last. I took up BJJ martial arts last November and competed in my only tournament in February. I took first in my division. To be fair there was only 4 competitors in total. Since then I have not been able to afford to train, due to mortgage, kids, and everyday life. I see that there is a very big tournament coming up in less than a month, and I would really like to compete, but I'm afraid my cardio is shot again. I don't smoke but don't do much else other than work. What should I do to get my cardio in some kind of working shape in time?

Cari you make some great points, and really hit the nail on the head with your assessment. I would like to hear or read more, but the links you have provided do not pull up on my computer. Do you have any alternative sites?

Favorite Answer

Hi Ryan, there's that famous little saying around that says: "Just do it!" But I wanted to add a slightly different perspective. So, let's say you find the motivation to go out and train for this tournament - so you're motivated for as long as the tournament is there to be motivated for. But won't you then find that the morgage, kids etc.... again get in your way and you then fall back into doing nothing again. Now if your aim is just to enter this tournament and you're really not interested in doing something consistent then, it's a simple matter of just doing it.

But personally I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better for you (coz you'll build up muscle which when you do nothing converts to fat and doing this repeatedly is bad for your health - you can read more about this at http://www.ditch-diets-live-light.com/regaining-we... if you tried something different.

Life is ALWAYS going to be there. So why not try incorporating cardio INTO your every day life instead of trying to find time to do cardio. There are some more ideas about this at http://www.ditch-diets-live-light.com/exercise-fun... . You mentioned you have children - they'd love it if when you got home, you included them in your workout. Teach them BJJ martial arts - that way you'll be having a bonding experience with them, you'll be getting fitter and everyone will win.

Get off the couch. Get you a treadmill and put it in front of the TV. You can walk while you watch TV and start building your stamina again.

I'm a big fan of walking.