Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

Why's it O.K. to fly a light twin engine over water at night without a landing light?

I don't get it. Wouldn't you want that kind of visibility so others can see you better?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Three....Have a deeper look at the regs.

§ 91.205 Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.

(c) Visual flight rules (night). For VFR flight at night, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(4) If the aircraft is operated for hire, one electric landing light.

§ 91.507 Equipment requirements: Over-the-top or night VFR operations.

No person may operate an airplane over-the-top or at night under VFR unless that airplane is equipped with the instruments and equipment required for IFR operations under §91.205(d) and one electric landing light for night operations. Each required instrument and item of equipment must be in operable condition.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The landing light has one of the most "stressed" filaments of any light bulb on a plane. There is some serious wattage going through them, and they burn out in a short amount of cumulative hours, compared to say a beacon. So if you burn up your landing light over water, what light will you land with....other than the glow of the moon?

Source(s): A&P (I fix broken airplanes.)
  • 1 decade ago

The farther offshore that you go, the less traffic you'll find anyway. You should have beacons, strobes, and nav lights. They're sufficient. You can see them from quite a distance.

When you're diverting off an oceanic track, it's a really good idea to turn on all exterior lights for the reason that you mention, but if your landing light's not on or working it's no big deal.

• 1 decade ago

The FAA doesn't think they are necessary. Part 91 Sec. 91.209 of the FAR's covers aircraft lighting and when they are to be used, but doesn't mention landing lights.

Landing lights in small aircraft (Part 91 ops) are a convenience, not a necessity. They most certainly enhance safety, but all the other lights that are supposed to be installed and operating at night, are plenty. I learned to land at night without the landing light on. When I proved that I could do that, the instructor had me land with it on.

The reg.

http://rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_GUIDANCE_LIBRARY...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Landing lights are just that "Landing Lights" unless you're in a sea plane and planning on landing in the water they wouldn't be needed over water....? On a more serious note Landing light are generally used to communicate your intent to the tower (esp. if radio com is not available). There are no towers over water therefore no regulation requiring landing lights for over water flight.

• 1 decade ago

sure, but its not illegal to fly without a landing light. Why wouldnt you? Lets not get paranoid about seeing other planes at night. Thats why we have strobes, beacons, taxi lights, wing inspection, etc.

• 1 decade ago

Are you landing on the water? (You'll need it to see the centerline...)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.