Randy
Randy asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 1 decade ago

Is it true what I heard about adoptions in Arkansas?

It was stated in the news today that the state of Arkansas passed a resolution prohibiting unmarried persons from adopting or acting as foster parents. It was also stated that this was an attempt to also prohibit gay and lesbians from adopting.

Is this correct? If so do you think it will have a negative impact on other states or is this something that will be overturned eventually.

Since someone took offense and had my first question deleted, I wanted to post this link to the article were I got the information. The issue is noted in the third paragraph.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNew...

Thanks for the clarification Kristy. You are right although I think the end effect will be the same and it was directed towards the same group of persons in our (the worlds) society.

Please forgive the fact that this is a repeat of an earlier question but someone complained about that first question and had it deleted. I appealed and now it has been returned.

Favorite Answer

I am so glad that us gay people who take in kids with disabilities, large sibling groups, and minority children are all horrible people and must be stopped. Ridiculous.

• Willow

I am from Arkansas and sadly yes this is true. In the county where I live there is only 1 foster home. Children in this county are sent about 50 miles away when they need foster care and the one home is full.

I am saddened that the kids in this state who will need foster care or adoptive homes now have a harder time finding loving parents due to this new law.

Source(s): arkansas resident, adult adoptee, adoptive mother

I am originally from Arkansas and this is one more reason why I won't move back. I am so sick of the religious, bible-thumpers who believe that this will prevent gays from fostering children that need a place to go. I guess that this mean that the same people that voted for this will open their homes to the poor children? Yeah, right! They have lost a lot of good people and good homes.

I live in Arkansas, and when my fiance and I adopted a little boy, I had to adopt as a single parent, and he had to move out until the adoption was final. It's a good thing we have an extra house!

The tragic thing is, in my heart, we're married, but being a widow, I'd lose over $800.00 a month from a trust if we married. Without that, we couldn't afford to adopt.

What's so horrible, is that the small minded people in this area that proclaim themselves to be so good are so evil in so many ways, and not just in the adoption ones. It's a horrible area for young people to live. As soon as one of our homes sell, we're moving!

I am so disgusted with them bringing out this law.

Have they forgotten one thing here, this is about a child where many have been through such a traumatic time in their life, who needs so much love (LOVE).

Why are so many people so prejudice in life, I thought we had gone into the 21st Century.

All I wanted was to be loved & for someone to be proud of me for who I was & to for once say it was not my fault, that's all I ever wanted, so if a single person gay/lesbians wanted to adopt me I would have jumped at the chance, as I would know that people did want to love me, I was not this reject that was going to be left on the shelve once again.

For once will these people put the children first & not their stupid beliefs, as this will send a negative message.

• MissM

I disagree with the ruling but I am not surprise that Arkansas passed it. They are not known for open-mindedness and tolerance.

Children who are adopted by gay couples get two parents (not that single parents can't do an excellent job). If we limit adoptions to only two parent/husband/wife couples, should we put in a clause that the kids go back into the system if they divorce (which is the outcome of nearly half of all marriages)? You can't guarantee that a child will have a certain environment for the rest of his or her life, but you can give loving, stable families a chance to make a good home for them. To say that a family is not "good enough" because they have a different sexual orientation is blantant discrimination. You can't legally marry because you are gay, and you can't adopt if you aren't married. This is just one more legal way to punish gay couples for their orientation. Shame on you, Arkansas!

*motives I have been given out of the south however stable it is been overturned, nevertheless if the final public of folk [voters] sense that it is incorrect for a gay couple to undertake, after which you reside there [as a gay couple] and undertake, you will get particularly some hating on and sh*t for it. purely flow up north the place there is way less universal hell

• BOTZ

Sadly, Randy, this is OLD news to those of us who have lived (or are living) in Utah.

This exact thing happened in Utah almost 10 years ago, although they do allow for single foster parents -- just not two, living in the same house, that are not married. <--- Personally, I think that (Utah's) was a MUCH more obvious attempt at banning gay foster and/or adoptive parents than the AR thing that excludes singles as well.

One of the unforeseen backlashes in Utah was that, almost instantly, over 900 foster children came BACK into the shelters/ residential facilities/ group homes from otherwise-successful foster placements because they were being fostered by unmarried, cohabiting "couples". These couples were mostly heterosexual couples, some were gay and some (which nobody thought about) were an adult foster carer AND the adult foster carer's PARENT (like foster mom and foster grandma), living in the same home, who OBVIOUSLY can't be married to one another. *sigh* Under Utah's code, even if only one is "officially" the foster parent, they are excluded from eligibility.

It was sad and sick...but it 'stuck' and that is still the law today.

Source(s): Adoptee, social worker and former DCFS worker in Utah.
  • Takeah

It doesn't say unmarried persons, it says it was banning unmarried COUPLES. There is a difference. Apparently, singles can still foster or adopt, but you can't have a "partner"... male or female.

That is pretty stupid. They'd need to clearly define what an unmarried "couple" is. Heterosexual, homosexual... BFFs... Like I said, STUPID.

I noticed your question was gone! as i sad before, i think this is a major blow to that states foster car system.There are already so many kids in the system who need homes, and now the state wants to limit it even further. i just can't understand why they want to prevent gays from adopting. It's silly.

Sammie, you're an idiot.