2004 hyundai santa fe (automatic, very slight shifting problem)?

My santa fe has about 120,000km on it, and it seems in 3rd gear it has a very SLIGHT hesitation when shifting in D. I had the tranny fluid looked at and they said it looked fine.

Should I go ahead and flush it anyways? Maybe add a lucas stabalizer?

P.S. Timing belt looks good.

Favorite Answer

This is most likely an electrical problem. If it is only experiencing slight hesitation and only in 1 gear the chances of it being related to anything mechanical inside the tranny are slim. It could be a multitude of sensors...anything from the TPS (throttle position sensor) to a dirty clutch pack release solenoid, a loose ground, the list goes on.

At your mileage it certainly won't hurt to flush the tranny, replace the filter, and refill with quality fluid. I would however have the vehicle scanned, you can take it to most local auto parts store and have this done for free...your car may be throwing codes without turning on the "check engine light"...these quiet codes happen more often than you'd think. If a sensor has failed a code will be stored...even if it it's only failing occassionaly.

This relatively small issue could get worse quick, I wouldn't brush it off. A simple $30 sensor could cause a slight hesitation and eventually thousands of dollars in damage.

Run it for codes, let a dealer or reputable mechanic look at it (troubleshoot if nothing else) and go from there.

Hope this helps!

Source(s): After Hours Automotive - (User Owned Restoration Shop)

Change the fluid AND the filter. If the old filter appears to be dirty or restricted, this may be the problem. Clean any accumulated sludge found in the filter access pan. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid. Do not add any fluid other than that recommended by the manufacturer. If this does not eliminate the problem you may need to see a transmission technician.

The timing belt has no effect on the transmission operation.

• pappy

I doubt you need to do a complete flush but you are way over the recommended interval for transmission service. I would drop the pan and replace the filter and the 3 or 4 quarts of fluid you get out.

I would hesitate to have it flushed by a machine at this point. You may kick up some sludge or hardened particals that will end up causing damage.

I would change the fluid, and check and possibly replace the differential fluids too about this time. Check your owners manual. I wouldn't add anything other than what the manufacturer recommends. It's also worth checking the grounds and connections on the transmission. Sometimes they can get corroded and cause problems. Pray that things are ok inside the tranny. If you can't find an obvious problem, I might consider trading it. Transmission failure is scary expensive.

Ironically enough, last night mine started doing the same thing only now its parked outside my house completely broken. Itll barely move going forward, it will do reverse just fine and when i put it in park, it doesnt keep it from rolling, it keeps coasting until i put the parking break on....i did the same thing to a 1995 jaguar XJS, cost=$2700 for that one, as for the santa fe, i probably dont want to know! Its got 107761 miles on it and its not goin anywhere anytime soon