Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

What is the best Water for an aquarium?

• Mel
    Best Answer

Tap water with the appropriate additives depending on the fish you are putting in there. Pet shop/aquarium staff will be able to tell you all

• Sarah

Normal, conditioned tap water is fine! But if you are just starting out an aquarium, you need to cycle your tank. This means you need to put water in it, leave the filter and heater going for at least five days. This assures that the ammonia, nitrate/nitrite, and pH levels in your aquarium can be leveled.

At your pet store, they will have water conditioner, which is essential for when you do a water change. It makes sure that it adds to the bacterial supply in your aquarium, so that the new water doesn't shock the creatures in your tank too much!

You should be buying test kits at your local pet store, to test the pH, nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia, during the cycling of your tank, and even after the five days when you put the fish/plants in, your tank could have an ammonia (waste) spike, and you get rid of it by removing 25% of the water, and then maybe removing another 25% if it has not gone down.

Remember, never ever remove more than half the tank water in more than a week!***

Good luck!

• Tolak

Tap water with the appropriate water conditioner. Back in the day you could let the water sit for 24 hours & the chlorine would gas off. Water suppliers now use chloramine as well, this does not gas off. Chloramine is a combination of chlorine & ammonia, you will want a water conditioner that deals with chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia.

Seachem's Prime is the best one out there, and what I've been using for years. I go through over 800 gallons of tap water weekly with my setup, and get Prime in 2 liter jugs. If something worked better I would be using it, as the fish I sell pay for it.

Source(s): My fishroom, 30+ tanks, 1200+ gallons, angel breeding setup. http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8183/dsc018521d...

Distilled would be best but ordinary tap water that has been left to stand for 24 hours to allow excess chlorine to evaporate is fine assuming you have fresh water fish.

I use tap water and it's fine. Just add in stuff to get rid of the ammonia, chloramine, chlorine, and all the other stuff.

The normal kind of water you drink

You want fresh water(not tap) It had to be the right temperature for your breed of fish.

• D.C.

FILTERED RAIN WATER -------CATCH IT OFF YOUR ROOF RUN OFF IN LARGE PLASTIC TUBS -------NEVER METAL ----RUN THROUGH A GOOD SET OF FILTERS LIKE YOU WOULD DRINKING WATER . OFF COURSE IF YOU LIVE WAY OUT IN THE COUNTRY ------IN A SEVERAL DAY HEAVY RAIN-------AFTER THE FIRST DAY THE WATER WILL BE CLEAN ENOUGH YOU DON'T NEED TO FILTER ( THE FIRST DAY THE RAIN WILL CLEAN THE AIR AND BE FULL OF CONTAMINATES )-----IN THE 70'S & 80'S I USED TO CATCH THOUSANDS OF GALLONS A YEAR FOR THE DOZENS OF TANKS I KEPT FOR BREEDING

Source(s): RAIN WATER AFTER IT HAS CLEANED THE POLUTION OUT OF THE AIR IS PURE WATER ------YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE WHAT'S NOT THERE .

i guess what ever type of fish it is.you could probably go to your local pet store and ask.

The wet type