Do you find that different kinds of alcohol (wine, spirits, beer, etc) effect you in different ways?

People often say that when they drink certain things, it effects them in different ways. For example, people will say that Scotch makes them more drunk than other liqueurs. Other people will tell you that certain liqueurs lower their inhibitions more than others. People will often say that wine and beer... show more People often say that when they drink certain things, it effects them in different ways.

For example, people will say that Scotch makes them more drunk than other liqueurs. Other people will tell you that certain liqueurs lower their inhibitions more than others. People will often say that wine and beer produce different effects.

From a scientific standpoint, these stories should not be true. The overall amount you drink certainly changes the way you feel. And the state you are in changes the effect as well. For example, it you are really tired and you start drinking alcohol, it will produce a different effect than if you were well rested. How much - or how little - you have eaten is also a factor.

But having said this, people still say that certain alcoholic beverages produce different effects. I, for one, do find some truth in this whole thing. White wine effects me differently than other drinks. This may be because I have a tendency to drink it much faster than other drinks, but who knows?

So I ask you... do different forms of alcohol (i.e., wine, beers, spirits, etc) produce different effects? Are your experiences of these things different?
Update: I suppose I should mention that this question applies to drinking somewhat excessive amounts of these beverages, since only one or two would not really do anything in determining whether or not disticntly different effects are experienced by the drinker.