Do conservative (not neo-con) values have a chance in cities?

The population/voting maps terrify me as a conservative. I believe in small government, little regulation, low taxes, a free market, and an extremely strong military.....traditional conservative values. I don't seen anyone in our party who has the ability (or desire) to articulate these things to people and it seems that the population centers of this country would rather vote for taxes to support everything that discourages self reliance.

I fear the cities will decide everything for us country folk before long.

Dennis,

What I listed are absolutely traditional conservative values.

And being a conservative DOES NOT mean you hate gays, abortion and liberals. That's what the pundits say we believe and it's just not true. I don't hate any of those things (although abortion is close--the human body spontaneously aborts a lot of the time and that's the only thing that gives me pause about that issue).

Favorite Answer

Only if we actually return to strict Conservatism, and practice what we preach.

Bush ran as a Conservative, however he Governed like a Liberal.

Conservative Values are just, but we need to find a way to articulate them, so that people understand that Government in not the solution to our problems.

• MSB

I'm with you... and I feel like we're going to go through a rough patch, but I do believe that people are going to be seeking that kind of conservativism after they have had a while with the Democratic party reigning.

You and I both know... it's not going to work for long.

I mean, I live in a VERY liberal city (New Orleans), and I believe in a lot of the things you do too. But I don't agree with a lot of the "social conservatism", which is what ticks a lot of people off as being intolerant.

And Americans aren't necessarily moving to big cities, but people from both small towns/countryside and the big cities are moving to suburbs and exurbs, which tend to be politically mixed and moderate - they could potentially swing to conservatives, since a lot of small businesses are started in those neighborhoods. However, like me, they tend to grow up in diverse areas, where they have gay friends and neighbors of different races, so they aren't necessarily against gay marriage. Also, about abortion, there's pro-life people in the cities too, certainly, but the thing is many people (including myself) realize that the chances of Roe v. Wade being repealed are slim to none. It's a better idea to have abortions be safe and legal, but provide the means for people to choose alternatives to abortion.

I spent my entire life split between DC and a very small midwestern town. True conservative values like Ron Paul (What you listed above is not true Conservative values) would definitely have a chance in major cities.

Unfortunately conservatism now means basically you hate gays, abortion and liberals.

Cities require more regulation than rural areas by nature. When you have 5 million people stacked on top of each other, you need city ordinances to keep things running as smooth as you can under the circumstances.

for example noise and trash ordinances as we live in such close proximity. You guys can hunt on your land. If you discharge a firearm in the city you have a greater possibility of hitting someone.

• Ryan

I have the same feelings as you, but I think in the future the conservative party will return to it's roots.