Computer operating system?

My Windows XP stopped working. It probably needs to be reinstalled, but this requires reformatting the hard drive and I don't want to lose my files there. Is there any other way?

Favorite Answer

While I agree there are other ways to "fix" windows without having to format and install. I would suggest that if these files are "that" important to you that you create backups of them.

Because while this time you may be able to run the fix or repair option if you have the Windows CD, next time might require a format or if there ever is a hardware failure, you will loose your data.

If you have your WinXp disk, go ahead and boot from it. When you get into the menu, select Install (not recovery console) as if you were making a clean install. You will then be able to choose whether you want to format, or repair an existing installation. Try repairing the existing installation before you go about formatting your hard drive.

A hard drive rarely needs to be formatted in order to correct an operating system. The only reason you would NEED to format is if you had corrupt sectors that were causing you grief, which you may indeed have. Try the repair option first, though. You will not lose any of your current data, unless you hard drive is corrupt. If that's the case, you're going to lose data anyhow.

1. Get another hard drive

2. Install XP on the new drive and make the the current one a secondary hard drive

3. Copy your files from the old drive to the new one,

I advice you not to call more windows but put linux or mac.however the answer to your question is I think not.