Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

My gold fish have all died.?

I have a 60 gallon tank with above water filter and stone bed, no live plants, two bubblers.

Started with fresh water, and 8 golds, with in 2 months they are all dead.

Checked water daily, Ammonia 0, Nitrites low, ph fine.

Water changes weekly, cycle in weekly, water treated and sitting for 24 hrs.

Have left the tank cycling the water now for 2 wks, water is testing perfect, crystal clear, there is some browning on the rocks below that I will pull out and clean.

Question is: How do I know it is safe to put fish back in? How do I test that? If I put one feeder fish in how long do I leave him till we know it is safe? I don't want to loose another batch of fish.

thanks for your help.

I guess I should've mentioned, I do use the dechlorinator when adding the new water

The water temp is sitting 68-70. What about lighting, can it be too bright? I have put in the screw in florescent lights, can lights be detrimental? Can the food be killing them? we switched to the sinking pellets, Can I buy 10 fish from the same tank at a fish store? they would all get along you would think.

Favorite Answer

First things first. Having water from the tap and letting it sit for 24 or even 48 hours dose NOT remove the chloramates. I really wish that this bad bit of information would just go away.

You need to get a dechlor water conditioner to add to the tap water. This is the ONLY way it will be safe for fish. There are other nasty's in the water that will also kill your fish from more than 120 trace chemicals like cleaning solvents to pharm drugs that need to be addressed, not to mention heavy metals. Only a dechlor/water conditioner can neutralize these items.

Although goldfish can survive in chloranated water for quite some time, they will eventually die from it.

Also no more than a 25% water change with the weekly cleaning.

Your water won't be safe until you add your water conditioner, you will go thru the same thing again.

Also, try cutting back on new additions. Only 3-4 and wait a week. This allows time for your bio filter to readjust between fish.

First of all, 1 fish per every ten gallons! If they are commons, they need 20 gallons per...I know, seems silly but it's true. A tank that size will take at least 6 weeks to cycle, your ammonia should read 0, nitrites 0, nitrates between 10 and 20. The appearance of nitrAres proves that your tank is cycled. Also, goldfish like higher pH, I suggest between 6.8 and 8.0. If your pH crashes, this will kill the fish.

Try using Amquel+ and Novaqua for a new tank. Novaqua is a slime coat and will reduce stress, Amquel+ works best for neutralizing ammonia. When you do your water changes the new water should be temperature matched to avoid stress.

Adding fish (especially goldfish) to your tank can be dangerous. All pet store fish carry flukes. I like to get my batch of fish from the same tank in the store, that way, if they have disease or parasites you can treat the whole tank with the right medications.

I raise Orandas and they are man made fish, hybrids...their digestive systems are compacted and they can be really sensitive to over feeding. I fast mine once a week and feed peas (frozen, cooked and smashed) to help with digestion. This benefits all species of goldies.

Check out a goldfish forum like Koko's or the GAB, they can share loads of information with you. Goldfish are more of a challenge than some people think, especially depending on certain conditions like water sources - city or well...etc, etc, etc.

Source(s): www.kokosgoldfish.com, www.goldfishconnection.com

Try again with just 2 goldfish at first.

I know it will seem like the tank is empty, but they should survive fine.

If they are common or comet goldfish, just stick to that and let them grow to suit the tank.

If they are fancies you can add a few more after the tank settles down, a month or 2.

Running the tank empty does Nothing to make it safe, as it doens't help with the nitrogen cycle. As soon you add fish, you add a source of ammonia. Unless you have working biofiltration that continues to build up. Hence just adding 2 small fish and leaving it that way to get things started.

Main problem you had was adding too many fish too quickly. Everything else seems OK.

Ian

Putting the water out to sit for 24 hours beforehand does not rid it of any chemicals, or heavy metals. You should be taking it straight from the tap, letting it run for a while, as the first drops that come out of it aren't so clean as the pure middle part. You should be using that, with water conditioner that works right away.

The cycling of your tank seems good, it's been running now for two weeks. If the ammonia, pH, ammonia, and nitrate/nitrite levels are all perfect, I don't see why you can't add more fish. It's silly how they all died..

Good luck.

well maybe the fish were know good when you bought them if the store has a metal deter you have to carey them over it or they will die and i have 5 i bought my lil girl for her birthday and i have had them 3 months now and thy are fine i feed them 2 times a day and change the water once a month and stuff like that good luck next time dont give up

its probably stress, the frist 3 months are the most dangerous for fish, add you're fish slowly, like 2 at a time, let them settle for a month or so and then add another 2, and so on. you're water is most likely fine, but you can buy a water-testing kit from most petshops if you wish to do so. but like i said, its more than likely due to stress.

well i would say that there either getting sucked up by the filter or the water temperature is the wrong temperature so i would check both of those things.=)

my gold fish died he loved it