Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

Ramadan: Why are men and women separated in the mosque?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

because you dont want guys looking at your butt while u pray

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Asalaamu alaikum sister!

Well first off, men and women do NOT have to be separated by different ROOMS in a masjid. During the time of the Prophet(saws), the women would just be in rows behind the men. However, some masjids(many) do indeed have different rooms to keep it more modest and such. There is nothing wrong with that!

Anyways sister, when we do prayers, we do all kinds of movements, like bend down, etc. Certainly you do not want to be surrounded by a bunch of men when you do that! Even during my yoga class at the YMCA they have women in the back because they know it is a little immodest to have a woman doing yoga with all those moves, in front of a whole bunch of men!

It is all for the purpose of modesty. Prayer is *very* important in Islam, and it is our direct connection to allah(swt.) We should not get caught up with materialistic things while praying.

I know Islam seems a little strict in some of these measures, but know that Islam is for all people, all over the world. Here in the USA, we find nothing wrong with a man sitting by a woman. Go to Afghanistan, and I promise you that it is totally not the case! If a woman sits next to a man and they are not mahram, that man is probably thinking non-stop of that woman, and in a lustful way.

Anyways, the scholars have explained this issue much better than me, and feel free to PM me if you would like me to fetch up some links for you.

Peace!

Sarah

(Revert Muslimah)

• 4 years ago

First time I was in Iraq, the women walked 10 yards behind the men. When I went back there some years later, the women were walking 10 yards in front of the men. I commented to someone that it was great to see the liberation of women, and that they weren't being treated as lesser human beings than men, and that the men didn't actually mind walking 10 yards behind the women. Nothing to do with that at all the person said, it's because of the land mines.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i just wanted to respond to that idiot that said only "wahabi" masjids have seperate rooms or floors , because that was such an ignorant statement

most masjids have something like another room (ours has a loft area that is open, but its just up and behind the mens section) simply because of the fact that there are SO MANY muslims that we cant possibly all fit into the same room in that size of a building. also as was pointed out in a previous question, kids are loud and distracting.. if theyre in another room with the women at least they wont be distracting the entire masjid if they make noise. thats so haram to just say its only in a 'wahabi' masjid that theyre seperated "more strictly"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

From what I've seen, only the wahabi controlled Masjids force women to go into a seperate room or another floor.

If you find a real Masjid, the women pray in the same room as Men but BEHIND Men.

• 1 decade ago

Well men and women are separated because of modesty. women are very tempting. Men want to concentrate solely on Allah while in prayer, they don't want to see a women bending over especially if it isn't their wife.

• Kobun
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Because people take things too far. Even according to the ahadiths, women prayed in the same place as men, in rows behind the men's rows.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Salaaam sister,

I hope you are doign great.

The sister who answered b4 me is right.

and one of the purpose of enjoing muslims to pray in the mosque is to increase love and unity between muslims and muslims pray standing joined together so that the there no there will rasism.

Obvoiusly this CANNT be possible if men and women are to pray together

bcoz Islam doesn't allow free mixing of men and women due to reasons.........which all of us know very well.

SubhanAllah, Islam holds the chasity of men and women above all.

Allahu Akbar

Hope this helps

Source(s): my common sence
  • 1 decade ago

Separation of men and women in Masjid is mainly for the purpose of having our concentration towards God- Allah and not thinking about any body else. To have purity of thoughts and strength of spirituality during the sala when we are to talk to Allah and recite his words in Quran, we need nothng around us that can attract our eyes and

thoughts and interfere out concentration in our prayers.

How can a woman or a man can have concentraion towards Allah, if they are present in front and next to each other. Off courses lots of women are very attractive and many young men are also very attractive for woemn. It will disturb our concentration.

This is the only reason and not for discrimination against women.

Western women want to be near men wherever they are. That could be one reason of the reasons of their too many divorces. Every

married man can find another woman prettier han his wife and every woman can find a nicer than than her husband. When they are allowed to mix with all married and single men, these attraction of opposite sex and sex out of wedlock happens which leads to

infidelity and divorces. Because western amen andwomen want to be with opposit gender where ever they are, they accuse Islam as discriminative instead of recognizing the beauty of Islam for the sanctity of marriage and protection of family life of married people.

If you ask a white race Muslim husband and wife about the separation of genders, he will be happy to tell you, how good it is

because he understood the benefits of this separation and that's why he liked Islam and converted as Muslim. To him this may have been a beauty of Islam - the respect of females that don't belong to him.

• 1 decade ago

because of the positions that we do . because then its not distracting to everyone you don't have a man's bum in front of you you have a woman's and that wont make you distracted

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

So they don't get turned on by a womans behind while shes bending down to pray.

These Muslim men cannot control themselves.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.