Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

DVD-R on DVD+R Burner?

I just ran over to the store to pick up some blank DVD"s and realized when I got there that I didn't check what type of DVD I needed. The obvious happened and I grabbed the DVD-R. When I got home I noticed on my external burner in tiny letters DVD+R. Should I get my coat back on and exchange the DVD's or am I OK?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

How old is your burner? There used to be a difference between brands where some could only handle +R and others only -R. For the past few years, all burners handle both.

You should look up the details on your burner on the web.

The majority of the suffixes such as R and RW, whether preceded by a plus or a minus, indicate whether the disk is read only, write once and then read only, or rewrite able so that data can be modified or added at will. The pluses or minuses in the name are largely historical and indicate that a particular type of technology was used to allow for the writing or multiple rewriting capability. This used to matter in that some equipment supported one technology and other equipment supported another. The minus was for a type of disk that only Pioneer, Toshiba, Hitachi, Matsushita Electric (Panasonic) equipment would support and Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Ricoh, Yamaha supported only the plus type of drive. Most current DVD drives can read and write to the disk regardless of the method by which the data is actually stored on the disk so the plus and minus don't matter anymore.

Details about this issue are here http://www.ask-the-computer-doc.com/dvd-and-cd.htm...

• 1 decade ago

Yup!!!! They will work...DVD+R is the newer version of DVD's...the only catch that your going to have is that some dvd players don't read that format easily....i know i had that happen to me....some movies would play great in DVD+R's but the second i used the DVD-R disc it doesn't read...may of been the disc type rather than format but that's my two cents of it all.

But yeah if you have a DVD+R drive then it will burn DVD+R, DVD-R, CD+R, CD-R disc...not to sure on the RW extensions (re-writable).

• Marvin
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I am pretty sure that DVD-R will run in DVD+R burners.

DVD-R is an older format - but is still just fine if you have a DVD+R drive.

The other way does not work however (cant use + on a - drive)

• 5 years ago

maximum DVD drives lately can study both formats, yet commonly the write in only one . it actually relies upon at thechronic's firmware. businesses will also want to pay both the -R and +R camps for royalties, so more lower priced drives help in straight forward words one write format. except you've an previous DVD participant that would't study +R, it gained't count number to you. As I suggested, gamers lately study both -R and +R; even if, they'll no longer be able to study +RW.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

DVD-R is the format that the dvd films come on

do they play in your system?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.