Jessie Kate asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How much protein should I have every day?

I'm 5'2", weigh 96 pounds, and excersize very little, if it matters.

I'm wondering because I'm going vegan and just reading the number of grams of protein on cans and packages is not helping when I don't know how much I should have.

Favorite Answer

Hey! How's it going?

Nice to see your going vegan- I went vegetarian about a year ago because I saw some peta videos about the horrors of slaughterhouses. What made you decide to give up meat?

Protein requirements for a teenage girl are 45-60 grams, depending on calorie intake, and judging from your height and weight, 45 grams a day is probably sufficient for you. Good sources of protein include chickpeas, beans, lentils, oat and barley, as well as vegetables.

You can check out this website, they have a list of good sources and how much protein they contain http://www.veganpeace.com/nutrient_information/nut...

You could also try tofu and soy products, but beware that soy contains naturally-occuring chemicals that are very similar to estrogens, so they can sometimes have a harmful effect on female health.

Good luck with this! Going vegan is a step in the right direction!

I would also add that as a vegan, you have to make sure your getting enough healthy fats too- like olive and other unprocessed oils

Source(s): been a vegetarian for a year, and Im currently in college studying to be a clinical dietician

The amount of protein that you need is dependent upon your age, the size of your body, and how active you tend to be, or how much energy you burn throughout an average day. Most teenagers, for example, need between 40 and 50 grams of protein per day. The best way to get an estimate of how much protein you need is to take your weight and multiply it by about 0.40, and you will have the number of grams of protein that you need for a day. So if you weigh 150lbs for example, and you multiply that by 0.40, you will need 60 grams of protein every day for optimum health. This is just an estimate however, and there are a number of characteristics that will impact this number, such as whether or not you are an athlete or play sports. maybe not much info. but if any more quetions, contact me now. im ApplezEyez, and i approve this message! OBAMA 08'!

Minimum: 150 grams

Maximum: 500 grams