Which is the better medication to be on following a heart attack: a beta blocker or an ace inhibitor?

I am 37 years old and had a non-specific heart attack. My cardiologist and a second opinion cardiologist both agree i should be on Lopressor and Norvasc. I was sent to a workers comp. cardiologist because my MI is considered to be job related. He wants to place me on an Ace inhibitor instead of the Lopressor.

Favorite Answer

The recommended regime for heart failure calls for both an ace inhibitor and a beta blocker. I would assume that is is the same for an MI. I would relay this information to my Cardiologist if I were you and let him discuss the matter with the workers comp cardiologist.

Lopressor or Metoprolol is actually a beta blocker, (my mom uses it) it's a beta blocker used to treat the heart and the veins. Basically it helps the blood and circulation of the heart. Once you start taking them you can't just stop it could lead to heart failure. It can also be used to treat hypertension as well.

An ACE inhibitor lowers the arteriolar resistance it increases the cardiac output and cardiac index as well. It also helps to lower blood pressure as well. ACE inhibitor would be used to treat cardiovascular disorders, heart failure, hypertension, left ventricular dysfunction, and prevention of nephropathy in diabetes mellitus. ACE inhibitor is in the top of the line class of drugs to treat heart conditions. Sometimes it does have to be combined with other drugs if it doesn't work alone.

It depends on the condition of your heart. Also your health history and what your doctor might think would work better for you. I would definitely think it over and look up all the side effects for each medication. Talk to your doctor and find out if he has some information in writing that he can give you.

• Shan

norvasc is a calcium channel blocker

Lopressor is a beta blocker. it lowers bp and heart rate.

Ace inhibitor lowers bp. Maybe they want to take u off the beta blocker if your heart rate is low? just guessing.

Ace inhibitors are said to be more beneficial in cases after myocardial infarction than any other drug as it reduces the chance of a repeat MI.