Can two Catholic gay men have their union blessed by a Catholic priest?

They recently got married in California and want to have a blessing ceremony by the Catholic priest. Is this possible?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Catholicism preaches against gay unions. Now, if you happen to have a friend who is a priest, you may, MAY be able to get him to do it, but he wouldn't be able to do it publicly because he could be censored for doing so.

Each church ISN'T different, like Protestant churches. They all have to follow the rules from the Vatican. Like I said, you may be able to find one who will, especially if he's a friend or a friend of a friend, but he wouldn't be able to do it in church and he wouldn't do it in front of a lot of people.

Really, if a priest in South Carolina is telling Obama supporters they should refrain from receiving communion because of his stance on abortion, you can't think any priest would bless a gay union? (And I'm in no way an Obama supporter.)

Congratulations, though. I hope you're happy.

I'm sure you already knew it wouldn't be a valid sacrament. Blessings AREN'T sacraments; no kidding! Geesh!

• 1 decade ago

No, it's not possible. No Catholic priest can condone a relationship that is based on sexual sin, as defined by the Catholic Church. By the same token, a married person who is having an affair can't have the relationship with the other woman/man blessed by a priest, or two teenagers who are having sex can't have their relationship blessed by a priest.

If they really want a religious blessing, they'll have to find a different church that defines sexual sin differently.

• You might find a priest to do it, but it would not be recognized by the Catholic Church or God because two men cannot marry, mor can two women.

Catholics (and all Christians) who find themselves attracted to the same sex are called to a life of celibacy just like any unmarried Christian is.

You can always find someone out there to agree with you, but again, it will not be valid nor recognized because it is against God.

Here's a site for Catholics who are gay or know someone who is, it's for anyone too, not just Catholics: http://couragerc.net/

• 1 decade ago

No.

The Catholic Church believes that God himself is the author of marriage and has created it for one man and one woman.

The Church further teaches that being homosexual is not a sin but that all single people (heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual) are called to celibacy.

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

About marriage, section 1601 and following: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt3a...

About homosexuality. section 2357 and following: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt3sect2chpt2a...

http://www.catholic.com/library/gay_marriage.asp

With love in Christ.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

NO! We cannot bless what is objectively sinful.

The Catholic Church only recognizes marriage between man & woman.

Source(s): Catholic Deacon.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Sure, I'm a Catholic, and I will tell you first hand...the Priest's beliefs vary from parish to parish...If you look hard enough, you can find an understanding Priest. Most Catholics are more liberal than you think.

• Misty
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

No, of course not!

Even if they were able to find a priest to do it, it will not be a valid sacrament.

• 1 decade ago

Most likely not -- I'm Catholic and I have never heard of the Catholic church supporting homosexual unions. But each individual church is different and sometimes there are exceptions (albeit often with some controversy). You never know until you ask.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. Don't go to a Catholic priest.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

uh no

First any christian church frowns on gay unions and second catholics don't even like striagt unions outside the catholic church

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.