Do you think the vast amounts of money used in space exploration should be used on more important things?

Such as.. contributing to the cure for AIDS?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

We get lots of benefits from the space program. Even 'important' ones, like a lot of medical technologies. And yes, the cure for AIDS might actually come from the space program. That's the thing about basic research like the space program - it's *essential* before we can find any new technologies to help us with stuff like this. You have to learn what the science IS before you can figure out how to use it, and I promise we'll NEVER find a cure for AIDS or any other disease if we cut off basic research.

I'm not sure what 'vast amounts of money' you're talking about anyway, the space program is grossly underfunded. Here's a comparison of NASAs budget with other government and private programs:

http://www.richardb.us/nasa.html#table1

Particularly interesting, I think, is that more than 10 times as much money goes into religious institutions as NASA. Religious institutions being something that really and truly don't do anything beneficial for us. How about we revoke tax exempt status from churches (since a secular government shouldn't be supporting them anyways) and put THAT money into science?

Oh, and the guy that said we should 'learn about our own planet first' - the space program is a highly effective tool for learning about earth. Besides satellite-based technology like GPS and weather monitoring, exploring other planets gives us insight into our own because we can study how they're different and what caused that. It would be virtually impossible to truly understand earth without a context to place it in, and other planets are that context.

• 1 decade ago

Sure there are downsides to the space program. Yes, it costs a lot of money to fund but the benefits currently seem to out weigh the negative aspects.

There is so much to learn from what we see in space. And its not just what we learn, its also the other things that come out of it. The little things that make our lives what they are today. Do you honestly think we would have the advanced technology today without the space program? I think not.

However you get the people that say that some of their missions are pointless, that we don't learn anything from them because they are complete failures. If you say that then you are also wrong! We learn from our mistakes and try to find out what the causes are so we can fix them and learn more.

Its human nature to be curious, its what has been with us all throughout evolution. Some just want to know how it all began and the space program by all means is the best way to find out how it all began.

• Adam
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Benefits:

-Satellite TV

-Cordless appliances

-Smoke detectors

-Water filters

-Airplane collision avoidance

All of those are just some things that were developed in some part by the NASA program. Pretty cool!

Space exploration uses a relatively small amount of the economy. As with all science, it teaches us new things that we did not know before about the world around us. It is just as important as curing disease, but the science benefits us in other areas.

In any case, it creates thousands of jobs and gives Americans pride when the space program is successful.

Check out this link! Lots of very good examples of how space programs have benefited the public.

• kro
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Hell No.

What's the point in finding cures for diseases if mankind blows up the Earth anyway.

We need to start colonizing other planets in order to ensure the survival of our species.

Life on this planet has been wiped out before and now we have even more ways to be wiped out than ever before.

They have a cure for AIDS it's called being rich, just ask Magic Johnson.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

We are spending many times more money on the Iraq war each and every month. We should redirect that money to more positive causes including health care for our citizens, especially the elderly and children. Obama will do exactly that soon after he takes office. Space exploration is vitally important to our future and funding should not be cut.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think there are many things that are more important than that and AIDS is certainly not among them. That said there shouldn't be too much money spent on space exploration because in the end it is not about money. It is about hardwork, ingenuity and luck.

Money can be helpful but money can also spoil!

• 1 decade ago

No. Lots of useful technology has come out of the Space Programs.

Seriously, just google "Benefits of the Space Program".

• 1 decade ago

Well aside from NASA really being underfunded as opposed to over-funded, I would say that money that is spent on space exploration is being spent on a very important "thing".

• 1 decade ago

This is a great question! Contributing to anything other than space is more important. There are many other things we need other than space exploration.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a hotly debated topic, but I think that we learn a lot from space exploration.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.