I don't get this joke. ?

Old chemists never die, they just fail to react.

What do they mean by "old chemists" don't they all die? or have died? I like the ending part, but the first statement puzzles me.

Best Answer

The saying is from General MacArthur's speech to West Point students. It goes,"Old soldiers never die, they just faid away."

The joke is a knock off of that saying. Old Chemists, meaning scientists studying the chemical reactions of elements when combined, including the human body chemically reacting to bacteria causing the body to decay, dont die. They just fail to react.

In the long run it is just a joke. Not to be taken seriously.

What it means is that rather than saying that a chemist dies when he gets old, he just fails to "react". Get it? When you're dead, your body doesn't react to stimuli. And... chemists like to perform reactions with chemicals. It's a pun on the word react. You sort of need to be a science geek to find it funny.

An old chemist relates to chemistry.

And chemistry sometimes reacts like exploding or making a big mess with foam or something.

so... let's review...

Chemist- Chemistry

React- Reaction to chemicals

It refers to a quote, "Old generals never die, they just fade away." Not sure where it originated, but there are lots of jokes based on it.

Yeah, it's just that chemistry and stuff like that has to do with reactions...

I gave you a star!

• huh? i dont get it

I don't get it too, to be honest! (;