Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Do you agree with the IOC's crackdown on the Canadian national hockey team logo? ?

• Best Answer

Funny then that the logo was okay for 1998, 2002, and 2006.

Oh, but now the IOC wants to crack down because of some arcane and silly rule.

It's not like there are giant sponsorship logos on the sweater.

They wore that crest in 2002 when they won gold. 'Nuff said.

The IIHF is okay with it, so the IOC needs to loosen their collective sphincter and get over it.

Sort of like the pot calling the kettle black. I suppose the IOC never made a cent off the five interlocked rings. I also happen to think that the Canadian Olympic Hockey logo is one of the best I've ever seen, and on this issue people can count me as a Canadian.

I'm with Bill W, the one finger salute is most appropriate in my mind and one the entire team could use during the opening ceremonies (while adorned with the logo in question) of the 2010 games.

Here's a thought.

Since that logo is owned by a private corporation "Hockey Canada", what would stop another national team from using a logo from another private corporation. Say for example the German team using the Mercedes symbol on their sweaters.

If anyone has seen the Spengler Cup. That is the scene that comes to mind. Keep commercialism out of the Olympics

http://www.spenglercup.ch/spenglercup/en/

I think the reason is because it's a commercial logo, the maple leaf with the hockey player over it. I guess the IOC's point of view is that jerseys in international competition shouldn't have commercial logos on them. I can understand that point of view. They're not banning the maple leaf, they are banning that specific hockey Canada logo.

It doesn't bother me. It's not a personal attack on Canada. A simple maple leaf would work just fine.

Again, they aren't banning the maple leaf, they are banning hockey Canada's logo, the one with the hockey player over it. The idea being... it's a logo of a commercial organization. No other team has a commercial logo on their jersey. I'm not saying I'm glad they banned it, just that I understand the logic.

• Siggy

No, I do not agree, mainly because this is another example of uptight people getting paid to make little difference in the world. Really, what /who is it hurting by having a maple leaf on a jersey? If anything, the logo IS marketable (which is what they fear?) and would sell well! Jeez imagine that in this terrble economy- people actually producing and making money!

• rz1971

Eh, personally, it's another stupid rule b the IOC to try and prove how 'intelligent' they are. Too bad it's not working.

They should change the logo to a giant upraised middle finger

Are they going to ban the Pros as well? I mean if players that get paid can play why can't they use their symbol? Seems a little hypocritical or something to me.

Maybe. They have to work that out within the league, what they will allow or not allow.