Do you have a gift idea for an elderly, partially blind grandma?

I love my grandma and she has recently lost all her sight in one eye and only has about half her sight in the other. It's something she isn't used to. Last year I got her a book light/magnifying combo system and some large print books so she would be able to read. Anyone have any ideas for this year? If there's anything you know of that would make this easier on her, that would be wonderful. Thanks.

Best Answer

If she likes literature get her some 'Talking Books' that will tell her the stories so she doesn't need all the paraphernalia.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I love my grandma and she has recently lost all her sight in one eye and only has about half her sight in the other. It's something she isn't used to. Last year I got her a book light/magnifying combo system and some large print books so she would be able to read. Anyone have any ideas for this...

Source(s): gift idea elderly partially blind grandma: https://tr.im/rMbOL

Gifts For The Blind Elderly

A talking clock for her bedside, just touch it and it gives the time, I gave this to a blind person and he loved it.

Telephone w/the really large numbers/or whatever the latest is for the blind.

A subscription to DirectLink Emergency , if she doesn't already have it, its a wonderful help if grandma lives alone particularly, one touch of the button, and help will be there should she need help. I have 800 # should you want it.

I can tell you love your grandma, thats wonderful! Years ago I had the same thing happen to my grandmom, they then didn't have all these specials for the blind.

That was a lovely gift you gave her last yr, you know all libraries have large print books now.

Blessings::::::MDsweet1

Source(s): life

Books on tape may be a good thing. Also set her up with a dry erase board and markers so she can write down numbers or appointments large enough to see. They have phones now with extra large touch pads, calculators and remote controls that are also supersized. Offer to help her organize her clothes closet into outfits that match.

Premade meals would be nice with large labels- she may be having trouble seeing to cook. A cleaning service is another good thing as she won't be able to see what is dirty or clean- the same for laundry.

A file folder of greeting cards- birthday, holiday, sympathy or just thinking of you cards that you help her to presign and put her return address on for her. A family member that stops by regularly can help address them for her when they are needed.

You can contact Lighthouse for the Blind and explain her situation and ask for ideas. Just keep in contact with Grandma and never let her feel she is a burden.

Find out what music she likes and you could get her an easy CD player, one that the buttons would be easy for her. My mom was partially blind and she learned the dials on the oven, washer/dryer, tv, and radios. Music soothes the soul, and especially when you can find out what type of music and her favorite singers are. If it helps you can mark the buttons with colored tape until she learns them.

added note: I just remembered there are magnifying lights that you can purchase. If you go online and type in magnifying light aids maybe you will find something. My mom was blind back in the late 60s until her death, and over those years we purchased a couple different hand held magnifiers that had a light. They took batteries, and you could get the recharghable ones that helps. My mom would read the newspaper and adjust knobs on appliances using it. I pray you find something for you. This would be a very good gift if she is unable to read things like I had listed. The best of luck in finding something.

• Miz D

Get her a telephone with great big push buttons. Some even have the Braille dots on the numbers to help with dialing. I noticed a lady wearing a pretty necklace with a magnifying glass as the pendant. Don't know where you would find one to purchase. Look on-line under Low Vision Aids for othe ideas.

You sound like a wonderful grandchild. Your grandma is blessed to have you.

• Fauna

Spend time with her, hold her hand and ask about her youth and listen to her stories. You sound like a loving child. I'm almost in tears. My grandma lost her sight when I was young and I took care of her, took her to the bathroom, spent time with her and she said if I would lead her to the kitchen she would wash the dishes for me and I could dry. We were close, she was a great woman and now I am a grandmother. I just hope I am as kind as she was.

How about some audio books? They may be called something else but that's what I call them. They have many such books, including the Bible. Check them out at your favorite bookstore or on the internet. They would provide your grandma with many pleasurable hours of listening, I'm sure.

Learn How To Improve Eyesight!

Since she's almost blind I would get something very soft for her. If she sits a lot maybe a real soft , fleece throw to put over her legs would be nice.