how "bad" of a weather are we talking for it to ground a cessna skycatcher?

how bad of a weather can she fly in?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I fly the equivalent of a Skycatcher from another manufacturer (Jabiru J250). We're rarely grounded except for real IFR days (ceilings below 1000' or visibility < 3 miles). I've landed it in a 50 mph wind (right down the runway). I've landed it with a good 20-25 kt crosswind (15 kts is its demonstrated crosswind component). I woke up a couple weeks ago in Flagstaff, AZ with ice on the wings and had the FBO hit it with a couple gallons of hot deicing fluid like they spray on the big jets and it handled it just fine.

If you fly the Skycatcher with only a Sport Pilot certificate you won't be able to fly in or above the clouds (have to have ground contact), nor will you be able to fly at night or above 10,000'. With a private pilot license or better you can do all those things. The plane isn't IFR capable so that will be your main weather limitation.

If you're a VFR pilot the differences in weather that grounds your Skycatcher and weather that grounds a Bonanza won't be much different.

• 1 decade ago

The weather that an airplane can fly in depends more on the avionics package than the airplane itself.

If it's equipped for instrument flight it can take off even if there's zero visibility (not smart but it IS legal) and can land if there's a 200 foot ceiling and a half mile visibility (if there's an ILS approach those are the typical minimums).

If it's not IFR equipped the typical minimums are 1,000 foot ceiling and 3 miles visibility. Additionally it would need to remain clear of the clouds (no closer than 500 feet below, 1,000 feet above, 2,000 feet horizontally). There are exceptions to this but I didn't think you wanted to read the complete regulation on this topic.

You also couldn't fly it in known icing conditions (as a general rule if there's visible moisture present and the temp is less than 10 degrees Celcius).

Source(s): Airline pilot for the past 5 years.
  • 1 decade ago

The Skycatcher will not be offered in an IFR certifiable version, so it would be limited to 1,000 ft ceiling and 3 miles visibility. You should not exceed your safe experience level with winds, and you should not exceed the airplane's demonstrated crosswind component.

============================================

Aviophage's Third Rule for Reading Yahoo!Answers: If a person claims to have done outrageous, dangerous things no well-trained pilot would ever do, you can be sure that person is not a pilot and is making up a story to impress himself. You may let him be impressed by his own story, but you should not be impressed yourself. It ain't true.

Source(s): retired airline captain
  • 1 decade ago

If its what I think it is, not much. Gusts of winds to 30 knots will not allow the plane to fly.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.