Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

what does soul searching mean?

a few real good friends have told me lately i''m starting to mess up again and i need to do some soul searching.

where do i start? How do i do this?

Update:

my lifehas gone back and forth with addictions. rebel without a clue.. yeah always have been. im starting to lose the people CLOSEST to me again. how do i fix me if im not even sure where exactly im broke

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I think it when the devil comes up from hell looking for souls to take.

Mostly this happens around halloween.

• ?5 years agoReport

Jesus ******* christ. Why do they give computers to idiots. Yahoo is not the place to ask a serious question.

• 3 years ago

Soul Searching Meaning

• 3 years ago

Soul Searching Definition

• 1 decade ago

It means going a level or two or three deeper into your thoughts and motivation.

Not just "what should I decide?" but

"Why do I make the decisions I do?"

"Am I happy with that?"

"If I think my fundamental approach or philosophy should change, why, how, on what grounds..?"

Painful stuff, for most people, digging up that much uncertainty and, often, old scar tissue.

Of course some, by saying you're "starting to mess up ", may only mean you are not thinking or behaving the way they would like you to: the way they do.

Or they may be better than that and genuinely and neutrally concerned.

That's one of the judgments to be made: are they giving good advice or being manipulative?

Am I?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Well, soul searching means looking inside yourself and deciding if the person you are or are becoming is the person you really want to be. Get a journal, that's always a good start. Think about your past and your future. What events and people, both good and bad, have made you who you are? Who are you, and are you happy with who you are and how your life is going? Who do you want to become and what do you want to accomplish in life? Will the life you're leading now lead you to those goals? If you get lost, or don't have the answers to these questions, don't worry, that's normal. Think about it as you go about your life. Examine the things you do and say and your reasons for them, then write these down. The more you think and write, the more you'll come to understand yourself.

Then you can start making plans. What things about yourself or your life do you want to change? What influences do you want to cut out and which ones do you want to increase? Are there bad habits you want to get rid of and good ones you want to put in their place? What things do you need to do to reach your goals? It sounds like you have some good friends who want the best for you, talk to them about it. Ask them what your good points and your bad points are and what they think you can improve. Try not to be too sensitive to their answers, they want to help you.

As you go through this process, you may come up against roadblocks, things you can't seem to change no matter how hard you try. If this happens, you may need to seek out professional help to get over them; there's nothing shameful about this, most people need help at some point in their life.

With thought, planning, and action, and some help from your friends, your life will be happier than you can imagine.

• 1 decade ago

I take it as trying to figure out why you do what you do. If you can define it, then you may gain power over it. This is not typically a spiritual thing, it's more of a thinking thing. It can be a spiritual thing if it goes there though. But I don't know what you are going through.

Do this:

http://www.aa.org/?Media=PlayFlash

It helped me. So give it a try, if you already have, then do it some more. Make it a habit instead of that other habit.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means to look into your heart and see how you act.

To your family.

To others

To strangers

To those who dislike you

And finally HOW DO YOU THINK OF YOURSELF.

Do you treat people with respect?

Do you treat people with Love?

This is Soul Searching Sheilajoconrad.

• 1 decade ago

Googling James Brown.

• 1 decade ago

It means slowly and carefully examining your situation, feelings, and possibilities, then making a serious decision as to what you're going to do with your life based on that information.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means you are lost, depressed, searching for something your life is missing because you are not satisfied with it and you feel like something is missing.

This is what people do when they get older and realize there life doesn't mean jack sh*t.

• 1 decade ago

it means to tale a moment and look honestly at your self you actions and your life ....to take time and get alone and listen to what god is trying to say to you ...christians call it a prayer closet and lock out the world when they pray .. catholics call it a retreat and go somewhere and quietly meditate on scripture ..Australians call it a walk about ....taking a long stroll with a backpack .. indians go off on a vision quest ..some climb mountains ..some go sail the oceans . Point is to go off alone and seek after god ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.