nopm asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What About Capital Punishment?

Do Any U.S. Republicans Oppose Capital Punishment?

Favorite Answer

Yes, there are plenty. I think people across the board are starting to realize that capital punishment makes no sense, and that it does way more harm than good.

I'm one of them. I live in Texas (THE death penalty state), and I supported capital punishment for a long time, but the more I learned about it, the more I came to oppose it. In the end, several factors changed my mind:

1. By far the most compelling is this: Sometimes the legal system gets it wrong. In the last 30 years in the U.S., over 100 people have been released from death row because they were exonerated by DNA evidence. These are ALL people who were found guilty “beyond a reasonable doubt.” Unfortunately, DNA evidence is not available in most cases. So, as long as the death penalty is in place, you are pretty much GUARANTEED to occasionally execute an innocent person.

Really, that should be reason enough for most people to oppose it. If you need more, read on:

2. Because of higher pre-trial expenses, longer trials, jury sequestration, extra expenses associated with prosecuting & defending a DP case, and the appeals process (which is necessary - see reason #1), it costs taxpayers MUCH more to execute prisoners than to imprison them for life.

3. The deterrent effect is questionable at best. Violent crime rates are actually HIGHER in death penalty jurisdictions. This may seem counterintuitive, and there are many theories about why this is (Ted Bundy saw it as a challenge, so he chose Florida – the most active execution state at the time – to carry out his final murder spree). It is probably due, at least in part, to the high cost (see #2), which drains resources from police departments, drug treatment programs, education, and other government services that help prevent crime. Personally, I think it also has to do with the hypocrisy of taking a stand against murder…by killing people. The government fosters a culture of violence by saying, ‘do as I say, not as I do.’

4. There’s also an argument to be made that death is too good for the worst criminals. Let them wake up and go to bed every day of their lives in a prison cell, and think about the freedom they DON’T have, until they rot of old age. When Ted Bundy was finally arrested in 1978, he told the police officer, “I wish you had killed me.” Khalid Shaikh Mohammed (the architect of the 9/11 attacks) would love nothing better than to be put to death. In his words, "I have been looking to be a martyr [for a] long time."

5. Most governments are supposed to be secular, but for those who invoke Christian law in this debate, you can find arguments both for AND against the death penalty in the Bible. The New Testament (starring Jesus) is primarily ANTI-death penalty. For example, in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus praises mercy (Matthew 5:7) and rejects “an eye for an eye” (Matthew 5:38-39). James 4:12 says that GOD is the only one who can take a life in the name of justice. In John 8:7, Jesus himself says, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

• Dan H

I'm sure there are some who do oppose capital punishment.

Just because you identify yourself as a Republican, doesn't mean you believe in all of the doctrine of the Republican party. Remember John McCain? He considered himself a Republican and a maverick, disagreeing with his party at least 9% of the time.

One of the problems with capital punishment is that it's not a fail safe method. Meaning innocent people have been put to death. So by definition, the killing of an innocent person is murder. So when the state kills an innocent person, we are guilty of murder.

Another problem is that state prosecutors know that the defendant is Innocent, but they want to win the case so it looks good to their boss' and the community.

We should just keep them around, give them all the conviences we all enjoy, while they sit all day findinga legal loophole in order to get out. These are not pot smokers, they are murderers. They are afforded many appeals, and some of them kill in prison too. What's your idea?

if we didn't allow them conjucal visits, tvs, cable, books, law libraries, and anything else they would scream about their rights. Meanwhile some family out there will never have the right to see their mom, dad, brother or sister again

Ron Paul does

Ron Paul does

Many Catholic Republicans do, like Sam Brownback.

Yes. Many do.

I don't think very many do.