why do people say that the holocaust was...?

the first genocide when it was really the first nations/inuits/native americans who were first massacred

i know some people are going to say stop living in the past but it makes me sad when i barely ever see any natives and the ones i do see are usually druggies and they've all lost their culture. in canada under the "indian act" they weren't allowed to vote, have ceremonies or wear traditional clothing. it makes me sad when i'm flipping through my textbook and i see old black and white photos of native kids wearing western clothing. why are first nations so unacknowledged ? i feel bad about to holocaust too but more natives died in north america, south america and more.

the jews got israel but native americans don't have any land but reserves and our city is constantly trying to take their reserved land for construction.

i hear it all the time

remembered are you serious?

yes 6 million jews died...just alone in canada before the europeans came there used to be over 50 million first nations and now there are 1

blah it cut me off...there are currently about 1 million first nations in canada

and the english believe that they were superior to the first nations and that they were savages and they must civilize them.

Favorite Answer

we live in a messed up world....

Its sad, and I agree... I personally believe we have taken a step in the correct direction by having a african american president.... America is so ignorant when it comes to our past we only teach students what we want them to know, not always the whole truth!

I love living here not to get me wrong but I feel its people like you and I who see these flaws that need not complain and work hard to make change, small things make a difference!

Seriously? You need to go way back to the start of the Roman Empire and then speak about genocide.

The Native American Genocide certainly wasn't the first.

And, for the record, I never heard anyone with good sense say the holocaust was the first genocide.

• winner

The Holocaust was the systematic, bureaucratic, state-sponsored persecution and murder of approximately six million Jews by the Nazi regime and its collaborators. "Holocaust" is a word of Greek origin meaning "sacrifice by fire." The Nazis, who came to power in Germany in January 1933, believed that Germans were "racially superior" and that the Jews, deemed "inferior," were an alien threat to the so-called German racial community.

Basically, this was a racial killing spree. This particular situation also consisted of a huge number of deaths. You need to out-way the numbers on each situation which is to be considered genocide.

Yeah, I'm serious. Let's be realistic, genocide HAS been occurring long before the Native American population went down. (yes, I know my history) If you are talking about the Indian Removal Act of 1830 then yes i agree that it was a substantial loss of life due to the "trail of tears". (If you want to compare historical events) That number was in the thousands where as the Holocaust was in the millions.

The Indian Act of Canada was also amended a number of times over the last century to make things 'right'. We live in a society that is not perfect by any means and unfortunately the people who are making the decisions for anyone does not always have their best interest at heart.

Genocide means any of the following acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group, as such:

(a) Killing members of the group;

(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;

(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;

(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group.

Genocide is committed on a number of levels however many of the ones that are remembered have to do with murder. The term genocide did not also exist before the year 1944 even though mass murder and destruction was occurring long before the year of A.D. came about.

As for today's standards across the world, genocide is occurring constantly in Darfur in Africa and in Rwanda (where estimates in deaths are between 500,000 and 1,000,000) In the United States, people are allowed to practice religion/(whatever is practiced within their culture) and Native Americans are able to do basically anything that anyone else can do as well. I mean there are many tribes who own casinos in this country so those who do, are not doing bad at all.

Also, a mass murder or huge death toll has not ever gone without being noticed in history. Just because it is not a main topic of discussion in classes or conversations, does not mean that it is disregarded. Most historians chose to talk about the major events that made a drastic change to the future. But I'm sure if you google this topic, you will find a decent amount of information.

And I am also positive that every country chooses to make their country look better than everyone else in text books because God forbid that we hear the truth. This is why governments do not have the best interest at heart. The entire country of the U.S. is not ignorant either. Many of us choose to actually dig into history to find out what really happened.

Bottom line, in the past, countries evolved and expanded and land was claimed by other countries such as Spain, England, France, etc and in particular, the United States had a number of owner's. Canada went through that transition as well where the British at one point was in command as where the French.

i have never heard anyone say that the holocaust was the first. The Armenian genocide (1917?) is just one of many other genocides historically.

• Tacos!

i agree i blame ignorance