Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Does your city have cops guarding holes in the ground - or it just us ?

Road crews - they dig stuff up they move things around and the block off parts of the road while they do it

And as of late --- they have a cop standing around a hole in the ground - or just walking about - He doesn't direct traffic - he just stands there

Now I don't blame the cop -- I blame the municipal bimbo who thought this was a good way to spend money

The road crews and in fact all of our contsrution crews are fairly polite - I have never once in my life heard them whistle of make remarks at anyone - So the cop can't be there to keep them in line

They are usually pretty big guys who work on the road crews - they are in large groups - so the cop can't be protecting them from the crowds of Canadians who likely wouldn't attack them even if they all weighed 10 lbs and wore frilly dresses ---

Ah --- to keep people from stealing their stuff --- right ?

Nope the cop goes home - or where ever once the road crew is gone - and said road crew leaves it stuff there unguarded until morning

So no not that either -

---------------------

Back to the original question --- do other city's have there tax money and human resources wasted by having cops guarding holes in the ground and piles of wood part time -

I guess if we are working on the theft angle -- then it must be assumed that Canadians would only think to steal things during daylight --- and when large burly men in a group were watching them do it --- ?

• Randy
    Favorite Answer

We have it in my area of Canada and the reason the cops are there is to ensure that traffic laws are enforced near the construction crews. In fact, violations of traffic laws around construction/road crews results in a much, much higher fine. For example, speeding 15 km/h (10 mph) over the limit can get you a $120 fine but do it through a construction zone and it's $500. Since they are most likely on a "paid duty" (like the cops that work the hockey games and other social/sporting events) they don't have a car but take license numbers and go from there.

No, it's not wasted money. Here's why. There have been numerous accidents by dumbass citizens who pay no attention to construction signs and markers...you know like "watch out there's a big freakin hole in the road".

So the dumbass citizens have driven into the holes and even walking right into the construction area and falling into it! After that happens, they of course sue the city, therefore costing the taxpayers much more than having an officer paid to stand there for a few hours.

People are stupid, that's why they put the officer there.

You are giving me the best time today! ROFL. Again.

No... we have lots of construction and road work going on where I live, but I never see the police guarding the sites. How funny. What is it you suppose they are doing? But on a more serious note, we do have camera's all over the place (Highways, etc). Not too mention, on large construction sites companies will hire Security. But that IS to keep theft at bay.

But police watching holes? Nope. That's a new one.

(still giggling) :o)

Source(s): Great! Now all I see is cops standing by holes in the road! And hearing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKukhx1DPR4

Not only do the cops guard the hole, they also know how to hold a cell phone at the same time. They are multi-tasking.

Most "details" as they are known are not paid by the tax payer, but the company contracted to do the work. Sure, they raise the rates to off set this cost, so its the consumer who actually foots the bill.

• Dan B

Our city requires contractors to hire off duty police to ensure the safety of the public at all hours. Occasionally, they are used to direct traffic when equipment has to be moved. It doesn't cost the taxpayers (unless it's a taxpayer project). I will guarantee you there are kids and adults that have no stinking idea that a hole in the ground can be a hazard. Also, vandals will move barricades as a practical joke. It's cheaper to have someone there to ensure the public safety.

They probably have some money left in the budget that they have to spend before the year is over, or else they lose it next year. The whole baseline budgeting thing, hopefully they run out of money and have a mass layoff of hundreds of bureaucrats, or even police for that matter. They can just cut back on rousting pot users, prostitutes or some other victimless "crime".

probably cuts down on lawsuits. And it is better than them hanging out at the local donut shop

You have discovered the secret entrance to **** Cheney's undisclosed location!

Source(s): ol white biker

sounds like some sort of conspiracy. i would investigate. just don't leave a paper trail. they will come for you and the ones you love. change your name. in fact, don't have a name. your new name is X. find the answers. shut these guys down. good luck X

Hmm, weird they don't do that where I live. They just have a flagger employed by the construction company.